Existing sub-router doesn't work with FIOS router
BadaBingBong

Used to have optonline internet.  Had their router for internet.  Had 2 computers connected.   Also had a Linksys sub-router (cascaded router) in a basement home office which networked 2 additional computers and a printer.  One of the LAN ports from the optonline router was connected to the WAN port on the LinkSys sub-router.  Optonline router was 192.168.1.1 and the Linksys was 198.168.1.2 and everything worked fine.  Every computer could access the internet as well as access all other computers for QuickBooks and Act! software.

Switched to FIOS.  Now have their router MI242WR.   Technician couldn't get the sub-router to work.  He changed the physical connection to take ethernet wire from LAN port on MI424WR to plug into the DMZ LAN port on the Linksys router.  Only one computer (Vista desktop) can get to the internet.  No XP connected to the Linksys can get to the internet.

If I connect the Linksys using it's WAN port,  I cannot get to the internet at all with pc connected to the Linksys. 

The default password on the FIOS router has been changed....  no idea to what.  Will have to reset the router to access but then I'm affraid that the setup config info will be lost.  Have to call FIOS next week when I get back home.

In the meantime I am trying to find out HOW to physically connect everything so all computers can see eachother for networking and also get to the internet.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Existing sub-router doesn't work with FIOS router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model Linksys router are you working with ... I'll give you a set of instructions for hooking it up in a manner which should do the trick.

BadaBingBong
LINKSYS

BEFSX41

Thanks!

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, so for purposes of setting this up, I'm going to assume you have the Linksys in a factory default state.   If not, follow the process outlined in the user guide to reset the router to Factory Default state.   Also, I am going to have to power down / restart various devices in the process -- while this is not absolutely necessary, it insures that I don't have to explain how to flush out any cobwebs which might be lurking.

Disconnect the Linksys from the Verizon router, power it on.

Connect a PC via an Ethernet cable (not wireless) directly to one of the Linksys LAN ports and boot the PC

Once booted, open a browser and connect to the address:    http://192.168.1.1   (leave the account name blank, the password will be "admin")

On the displayed screen, set the following:

- Internet connection type:  Obtain automatically

- Router IP / Local IP address:   192.168.1.222

- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

- Local DHCP Server: Disable

Apply / Save the settings

At this point you will be disconnected from the router (the address changed)

Shutdown the PC

Unplug the Linksys

Connect any LAN port (NOT WAN) on the Linksys to any available LAN (NOT WAN) port on the ActionTec router.  The WAN ports will remain unused and you can not use them to connect any systems in this configuration.

Power up the Linksys and wait for it to stabilize

At this point, if you have any PC's connected to the ActionTec, you should be able to ping the address:  192.168.1.222

Power up the PC (it should be still connected to the Linksys via an ethernet cable)

Try to browser the internet -- you should be able to get to where you want to go.

This configuration results in many of the features on the Linksys being unused but places all the network ports on the ActionTec and the Linksys in the same logical network -- so the machines can all see one another.   There is an alternate configuration which you can use also which places the machines on the Linksys in a different network than the ones on the ActionTec, but unless you understand why you might want or need to do this, it's not recommended.   Let me know if you have specific circumstance which requires such a setup - and why - and I will explain further.

0 Likes
BadaBingBong

Thank you for that detailed set of instructions.   Sounds like *maybe* that is what the FIOS install tech did,  but I am not sure.

There is only one scenario that I'd want to explore.  What if you want the basement office machines on the Linksys to be off-limits  to all machines connected to the ActionTec,  except for one laptop that is connected directly to the ActionTec? 

As a related question,   why did plugging  an ethernet line from the old optonline router LAN port into the Linksys WAN port work out fine?   But it did not work with the Actiontec?   With that optonline setup,  an older Windoze XP machine on the Linksys worked fine and could access the internet.  But,  this XP machine could not get on the internet with the FIOS router via the Linksys?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so if you want the machines on the Linksys to be off-limits to the ActionTec devices a small modification in configuration is needed.

Reset the Linksys to factory settings (just so we know we are starting at the same state)

Disconnect the Linksys from the ActionTec router

Connect a PC directly to the Linksys via ethernet cable

Power up the Linksys

Power up the PC

Login to the Linksys (http://192.168.1.1, password "admin")

Settings as follows:

-- Internet address: Obtain automatically

-- Local / Router IP:  192.168.2.1    (note the difference!)

-- Subnet mask:  255.255.255.0

-- Local DHCP Server:  Enabled   (note the difference!)

Save the settings (you will be disconnected from the Linksys at this point due to the address change)

Power down the PC

Power down the Linksys

Connect the WAN port of the Linksys to a LAN port on the ActionTec (note the difference)

Power up the Linksys

Power up the PC attached to the Linksys

You should be able to reach the internet thru the Linksys

If you like, you can login to the Linksys (http://192.168.2.1) from the PC attached to the Linksys (note that machines on the ActionTec portion of the network won't be able to access systems on the Linksys (although a port forward could be established if there is a specific requirement).

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BadaBingBong wrote:

As a related question,   why did plugging  an ethernet line from the old optonline router LAN port into the Linksys WAN port work out fine?   But it did not work with the Actiontec?   With that optonline setup,  an older Windoze XP machine on the Linksys worked fine and could access the internet.  But,  this XP machine could not get on the internet with the FIOS router via the Linksys?

Thanks again.

Possibly because as you stated earlier

Optonline router was 192.168.1.1 and the Linksys was 198.168.1.2 and everything worked fine

From this I would assume that you meant the wan side of the linksys was stsatic 192.168.1.2 and the lan side was a different subnet probably 192.168.2.x as Lasagna suggested in the last post. 

The original setup would only work if 192.168.1.2 was excluded from the dhcp range on the actiontec which by deafult I belive is not the case.

I agree with Lasagna's suggestion of isolating the other machines via using a second subnet however I would suggest that you make the IP address for the linksys static rather than dynamic as it makes port forwarding to the inner subnet easier (if you ever wanted to do it)

0 Likes
BadaBingBong

viafax

You are probably right,  could have been 192.168.2.1   -  makes more sense.

Lasagna -  thanks again!

0 Likes
wilrose31
Enthusiast - Level 2

So happy to see others cascading additional routers.  Hi Lasagna!  I hope you can help me?  I just switched from Time Warner Cable to Fios.  TWC supplied a regular modem that I connected to a Linksys wireless router #WRT54GL-no problem.  I then wanted to bring the internet into another part of the house and added another Linksys router #WRT54G2.  I connected a LAN port of the first Linksys wireless router (GL) to the WAN port of the second Linksys wireless router (G2).  No problem.  This gave me another 4 wired ports that I could connect my devices that were not wireless capable.  I did not even have to change anything in the G2 modem, maybe because I was connecting a Linksys to another Linksys.  Now with my new Fios wireless modem, ActionTec MI424WR Rev. E, F/W 20.70, I cannot get my Linksys WRT54G2 wireless modem to work as before.  When the technician did the installation, I wanted to disable the wireless feature of the ActionTec modem and just use my two Linksys modems, But he did not recommend it.  I think it could work, especially if I can't get the ActionTec and Linksys to work together.  What do you think?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@wilrose3 wrote:

I cannot get my Linksys WRT54G2 wireless modem to work as before. 

Since you're connecting LAN-to-WAN, each router has to have a different subnet.

The default for the Actiontec is 192.168.1.x.  Make sure the each Linksys is something different (i.e.192.168.2.x and 192.168.3.x).

BTW, both the Actiontec and Linksys are routers, not modems.

0 Likes