FIOS Actiontec firmware update breaks upnp
Wicked0ne1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a MI424WR-GEN2 running firmware 20.10.7.5 which was running version 20.10.7 up until recently. We have several xbox 360's in the house and for them all to properly connect to xbox live we need upnp to be fully working in the router. Since the firmware update from 20.10.7 to 20.10.7.5 upnp has broken.

If i manually goto advanced -> firmware upgrade in the router i see the option upgrade from internet and if i select check now(which uses the url https://upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR2/MI424WR2.rmt) it says: 

Internet Version: Old Wireless Broadband Router version 20.10.7 found

Which i use force upgrade to install. Once back on 20.10.7 upnp works great and all the xboxs can properly connect...and so can any other upnp application. But after a day or two something automated force updates the firmware back to the crippled broken one and i see this in the routers logs:

Mar 12 09:39:23 2011 System Log Reboot Reboot issued from TR69
Mar 12 09:38:57 2011 System Log CWMP Firmware Upgrade CWMP Transfer Complete from CPE
Mar 12 09:38:57 2011 System Log CWMP Firmware Upgrade CWMP Firmware Upgrade Success. New Version: 20.10.7.5
Mar 12 09:38:05 2011 System Log CWMP Firmware Upgrade CWMP Firmware Location:<https://cpe-ems20.verizon.com/firmware/Actiontec_MI424WR-GEN2_20_10_7_5.rmt>
Mar 12 09:38:01 2011 System Log CWMP Firmware Upgrade CWMP Firmware Download Response From CPE
Mar 12 09:38:01 2011 System Log CWMP Firmware Upgrade CWMP Firmware Download Command from CMS
Mar 12 09:37:42 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform initial 401 challenge
[repeated 2 times, last time on Mar 12 09:37:51 2011] Mar 12 09:37:42 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform 204 No Content
Mar 12 09:37:38 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform challenge response with 200 OK from server
Mar 12 09:37:34 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform initial 401 challenge
Mar 12 09:34:22 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform 204 No Content
Mar 12 09:34:17 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform challenge response with 200 OK from server
Mar 12 09:34:13 2011 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform initial 401 challenge

So my question is how can i:

1) stop the automatic firmware update(yes ive selected automatic check disabled)

2) possibly fix the broken upnp on 20.10.7.5

Re: FIOS Actiontec firmware update breaks upnp
Hubrisnxs
Legend

edit,  **  sorry didn't see that you already rolled it back to a previous version

prisaz
Legend

I would disable the automatic update on the router. There have been a number of occasions where Actiontec or Westell have come out with newer versions of firmware that break things. I would rely on the Verizon supported firmware files that have proven themselves to work properly. The default on the router is disable automatic updates. I would leave it that way, only download the Verizon supported firmware, and manually update your router from a Verizon supported file. Unless otherwise directed by tech support to do otherwise. Even then I would be cautious. Last update from Actiontec on my Rev D broke a few things, and one revision actually took out the wireless. I downgraded to what was found on the Verizon site and all worked well.

KEEP AUTOMATIC UPDATES OFF. DO NOT UPDATE FROM ACTIONTEC. GO HERE.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/fios_router_update/

Strange the automatic update or forced update from Verizon would give you a bad version. I have only seen this when updating directly from Actiontec. This link above for the manual download gives 20_10_7 and not the 20.10.7.5.

Now the Gen 1 should not be loaded with the rev 20 firmware at all.

Wicked0ne1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Under the firmware update page on my router under the "update from internet" box  i have selected "automatic check disabled"....yet it stil was updated lastnight. From my reading verizon has a automatic upate system that is run periodically...something we as end users cannot stop. See this link for more info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

Can anyone confirm that upnp is fully working on their router. My exact router info is:

Firmware Version: 20.10.7.5

Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2

Hardware Version: F

prisaz
Legend

@Wicked0ne wrote:

Under the firmware update page on my router under the "update from internet" box  i have selected "automatic check disabled"....yet it stil was updated lastnight. From my reading verizon has a automatic upate system that is run periodically...something we as end users cannot stop. See this link for more info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

Can anyone confirm that upnp is fully working on their router. My exact router info is:

Firmware Version: 20.10.7.5

Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2

Hardware Version: F

Ok it looks like it was pushed out to your router. After looking at your log a second time, I noticed you are correct. I have notified the powers to be and they are looking into it. Usually firmware updates are not made like that unless perhaps there is a major issue that needs correction. If you have automatic updates off, they should be off.

Oh thanks for the link. I knew about the CPE Manager a long time ago, but never bothered to look it up on Wiki. Thanks for your post and bringing this issue to light. I am sure if router problems are occuring Verizon would want to correct them as quickly as possible. It may be that you are lucky enough to have the latest and greatest Ver. F that supports wireless N, I think also has gigabit lan ports? Perhaps the firmware was different for that, but broke something else. I am sure they are looking into it now.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rev. F routers have "N" support (very lacking, basically a G router still), and 100Mbps Ethernet ports. Rev. G routers have Gigabit and Wireless N.

prisaz
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

Rev. F routers have "N" support (very lacking, basically a G router still), and 100Mbps Ethernet ports. Rev. G routers have Gigabit and Wireless N.

Thanks again for educating me. I have not kept up enough with the newer versions. I have my REV. D with the wireless turned off and a Hawking wireless access point which does a very fine job.

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Wicked0ne I would like to assist you further in this issue. I have sent you a PM so I can get your account information. thanks for your patience in the matter!

ANK3

I appear to be having a similar issue and I see you sent a PM.  I was hoping to be looped in.

Thx

0 Likes
marsmayhem

Manual for this router (rev F) says it supports 10/100/1000 ethernet (not that I'm finding it to be true).  Is this a firmware limitation atm?

0 Likes