Re: FIOS Connection Conundrum with multiple computers
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@Cookie4471 wrote:

I can't believe it!  You were totally right!  Even though we traced all of the wires down with multi testers and matched the wire colors on the female end to the way the male ends were wired--it still didn't allow the internet to work until we put the wires in the correct order like you said.  I don't get it, but it works! 

My computer now works on the cat 6 cable at the 100 speed!  Thank you! 

Pairs is pairs.  Smiley Wink  If you break up a couple you can expect consequences.  (They will get mad at you.  LOL)

Cat 5 (and the like) have pairs that have certain individual twist rates that are different from each other.  This is to eliminate as much as possible cross talk and any other interaction between pairs.  That is why it is important to not disturb any of the twists any more than necessary.  In other words, keep them twisted until the very bitter end when they just must split to go into their individual slots on the jack, and you should have great performance.  Naturally, care is also required when handling the cable as well.  There should be no kinks, sharp bends, or folks stepping on it during install. Smiley Tongue 

0 Likes