FIOS Connectivity Problems
srg19

I live in the Philadelphia area and about a month ago started experiencing problems with my service. I've had about 4 technicians come out to my house, their supervisor, and my ticket escalated to tier 2. They've replaced almost every component in my house. I'm losing confidence that this will be resolved. Before all that, I have never had a problem with any Fios service at any of my apartments/houses.

I have the following issues:

1)TV Image will blur for a few seconds and recover.

2)Fios on-demand network issue. During peak times(9pmish), navigation is delayed in the on demand menu. The unit will not respond to any of the directional arrows and then all of a sudden process all my prior button presses a few seconds later. Sometimes navigating around will display a 'network connectivity issue' error message and placeholder images for movie rentals pop up frequently. When I actually do start to watch a movie, the television image will pause for 10 seconds, and then start playing again with the movie 10 seconds in the future. It feels like the stream is being interrupted.

3)Internet ping spikes and timeouts. Pings when gaming will randomly spike to 10k and then drop back down to a normal 30.

In a nutshell, my HD pixulates,  my on demand freezes, and my internet is losing data. It seems like they are all connected.

I really do not want to switch my service from Verizon. I've been a loyal customer from some time. However, these problems are really disruptive and killing my experience with all FIOS services.

What can I do?

-Scott

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Connectivity Problems
wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

Here would be my list:

(a) Are your neighbors experiencing similar problems??

(b) Problem with AC Power

Do you have any flickering, dropouts, lights dimming, brownouts, constant power failures??? Bad AC power.

How is your other electronic gear behaving??

Have you added.replaced and major appliances (i.e. refrig, furnace, AC, etc.)

(c) Since you have replaced all equipment in house including I assume the ONT... If not force them to swap ONT.

(d) Optical network issue

(1) Have they disconnected, cleaned, and inspected with a scope, the optical connector at the ONT. This is NOT

something you can do.  Dirty and/or scratched optical connectors can create this problem.

(2) Have they disconnected, cleaned, and inspected with a scope, the optical connector at the Junction Box at the street.  This is where the optical connection is made to the backbone cable.

(3) Fiber Damage,  have you walked the yard where your optical fiber was buried??? Any construction, digging, planting, even grass aeration that could have damaged a shallow cable.

(4) How about construction near the backbone (main cable at street), A damaged cable could have just your fiber

damaged while neighbors are fine.

(e) Has a Verizon Tech disconnected the optical connector at the ONT and connected special test gear to the

incoming fiber cable.  With this test gear he can measure your optical power level and should be able to run quality tests on the incoming optical signal.

Finally, ASSUME NOTHING, just because it worked before does not mean that you can assume any on the above list is not an issue.

0 Likes