Re: FIOS DNS Hack Directed to unallocated.barefruit.co.uk92.242.140.21
mnemanov
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also noticed this issue recently.

I noticed a DNS Suffix of SME on my IP configuration, which may (or may not) be related to this.

I changed my IP Configuration to remove this DNS Suffix and it seems to have resolved my VPN issues.

I can't find any info on this dns suffix in google searches.

mn

rhulse1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is still an issue months after Verizon was made aware that their DNS was redirecting customers incorrectly.  Now when this hapens, FiOS routers are creating port forwarding rules for this ip address and company Barefruit without the knowledge of their customers.  How is an everyday user to know that this is going on as they have no idea how to log into the web interface of a router?!  First level tech support at Verizon act like they have never heard of this issue when you call, it was only after they put me on the phone with Actiontech that it was immediately addressed.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Issue?  its fully explained behavior.  If you use the default Verizon DNS server and give it a invalid url name, instead of just giving an invalid name they will give you one with a did you mean type message and ads.

Don't like it.  Manually set your DNS servner addresses from xxx.xxx.xxx.12 to xxx.xxx.xxx.14.

0 Likes
mnemanov
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a quick follow up.

it seems my problem is not solved by removing the SME dns suffix.

mn

0 Likes
jdcircuit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found my router has been hacked as well... the remote admin port was set open and there were QOS additions made to my setting.  This is very concerning... and wonder what Verizon is doing to address this?

I googled this ip address and found this discussion in this forum. 

CLTPA56
Enthusiast - Level 1

This started happening on 9/9/15 to my Citrix receiver sessions where Verizon DNS server would  not resolve to the proper  IP address. Malwarebytes caught and prevented the outbound connection.  I fixed it by changing the DNS settings (Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties) to either Google or OpenDNS (I went with Google). Google is 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

Ned2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Barefruit redirects by an ISP suck plain and simple.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes