FIOS Internet Speed
pina413

I am subscribed to receive 25MPS uplaod and 25 MPS download internet speed but rarely get that.  Generally I get about 15 MPS download or less and 15-20MPS upload.  WHY?  I paying for 25/25 MPS I should get it or close to it.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet Speed
stevenmb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are you measuring speed off your wifi? If wired, you should be getting the speed you're paying for. I have 35/35 service, and I get well over that wired.  If you're measuring off of wifi.... my experience is that I get less than half and lousy distance, which is probably because Verizon doesn't make n routers available, and they seem to keep fudging on the availability date. All I got from tech support until I talked to a supervisor was a run-around, and then I got the bad news that it's only available in unspecified parts of the country with new installs.

tj15136
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I just had 25/25 activated today and using Verizon's speed test page I'm getting 6.5 download and 5.7 upload using wifi and 25.6 download and 6.1 upload wired.  I'm not surprised with the wifi results but the upload on a wired connection seems really poor to say the least.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tj15136 wrote:

Well I just had 25/25 activated today and using Verizon's speed test page I'm getting 6.5 download and 5.7 upload using wifi and 25.6 download and 6.1 upload wired.  I'm not surprised with the wifi results but the upload on a wired connection seems really poor to say the least.

Did you have Verizon service previously at a lower speed? If so, what what it supposed to be, and what did you get?

I have 25/25 service, I almost always get 30/24.9 on the Verizon test using a wired connection. When I use Speedtest.net to either of a couple of servers within 50 miles, I generally get the same results.

Although Verizon's speedtest probably should give the best results since it stays entirely within the Verizon network, I suggest you try several different tests, at different times of the day, to get a better overall picture. And save the results each time so you can reference them specifically, either here or with Verizon tech support should you decide to contact them.

What type of computer and operating system are you using? If it is Windows XP you probably need to tune TCP/IP on it, the buffering for uploads is generally not large enough for high speed connections. I have Windows 7, have never done any tuning, supposedly the TCP/IP on Windows 7 self-tunes. I have no idea what you would do/not have to do with OS X if you have Apple.

Your wireless also seems very slow to me. It is a very safe bet that wireless will be slower than wired, but I certainly get wireless speeds better than that (haven't tested lately so not really sure what I would get today, plus I am not at home right now to do a test).

Something is not right IMO. I think the first thing to do is try to make sure your computer is set up optimally, then if it is still bad try contacting Verizon (or tell us here what you have done to try to improve things and hopefully someone can help).

Hope this maybe helps a little bit. I feel confident you can get far better results, we just need to figure out where the problem lies.

Keller, TX 76248

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have also seen some Anti-Virus and Firewall products slow the internet speed tests down.  May want to disable those while running speed tests

I have 20/5 and when I run speedtest.net I get 25/6 results most of the tiime.

0 Likes
tj15136
Enthusiast - Level 1

Justin, I just ran Verizon's speed optimizer on my XP laptop and the numbers jumped big time for wifi.  I am now getting 22.6 download and 18.6 upload.  Kudos for your advice.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tj15136 wrote:

Justin, I just ran Verizon's speed optimizer on my XP laptop and the numbers jumped big time for wifi.  I am now getting 22.6 download and 18.6 upload.  Kudos for your advice.

You mean I actually said something that was correct? Smiley Very Happy Maybe miracles do happen after all.
Glad it helped. And that sounds a whole lot more reasonable, probably about as good as you are going to get wireless. Have you tried wired to see if it helps there too?
Keller, TX 76248
0 Likes
tj15136
Enthusiast - Level 1

Justin, wired I'm getting 30.7 download 25.1 upload.... I'm impressed.  And thanks again.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tj15136 wrote:

Justin, wired I'm getting 30.7 download 25.1 upload.... I'm impressed.  And thanks again.

You are welcome. And thanks for coming back to tell us the results, not all posters bother to do that, and it really helps when we get positive (or even negative) feedback on suggestions/recommendations.

Just keep in mind that when you go outside the Verizon network you are at the mercy of other providers and individual websites, so some stuff, maybe a lot, may be considerably slower than that speedtest.

Have fun...

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes