FIOS Internet upgrade...
DreadedCustomer
Contributor - Level 1

I have had this little problem because of my family's medical conditions, where anytime I try to upgrade to a higher internet speed, I am told that I MUST change from a landlines to FIOS phone which only has an eight hour battery backup and, being that there are only 6 houses on this VA Power run, they can blow the fuse connecting the high and low voltage lines during as storm and I'll be down for days because they restore apartments, etc. where they get the greatest number of people without power reduced the quickest, first.

Heck, I'm chatting on the website with someone in India for all I know.  But the webpages try to twist you arm the same way...

I had this argument with Verizon when they first had one of their "door to door salesman" write me up a service order for FIOS internet ONLY, right there, in writing, on the ticket, then the service people show up with an order for "Double or Triple Play FIOS only with orders to disconnect the landline."

I thought that was going to take an act of congress to reverse (except for that inconvenient little receipt.)

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet upgrade...
Pyao
Contributor - Level 1

It depends on how badly you want the internet upgrade.   You could have cell phone as backup, UPS, gasline generators to power the ONT in the bad case scenario.    Call from neighbor's house.   Solar roof.

Sometimes copper phone line could be down in winter storm as well. 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet upgrade...
DreadedCustomer
Contributor - Level 1

I posted this message before I read the other complaints on this page that seem to be complaining of a drastic FIOS slowdown from Richmond to DC to NY...

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet upgrade...- You CAN Get What You Want
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@DreadedCustomer wrote:

... anytime I try to upgrade to a higher internet speed, I am told that I MUST change from a landlines to FIOS phone which only has an eight hour battery backup ... I had this argument with Verizon ... an order for "Double or Triple Play FIOS only with orders to disconnect the landline ... 

If my experience is any guide, this simply isn't the case.  Prior to switching to Verizon last March, I had 4 separate service providers, one being a Verizon-supplied POTS (copper) phone line dedicated to home security and fax.  We'd been using the POTS line for many years and I made it a condition of the FiOS Triple Play order that the line be maintained (a Vonage VoIP line would be ported to the FiOS package).

Subsequently (and after a few complications involving the VZ order itself), I did get the setup I requested, including the Triple Play and the original POTS line.  I had to insist that keeping the POTS line was a condition for the new order, even though my request was deemed unusual.  My point is that if you stick to your guns, you can get the service arrangement you want.  Just keep at it.

Consider also that Verizon has tons of money tied up in FiOS infrastructure, and the company is very  interested in adding as many subscribers as it can.  They will, therefore, eventually agree to specific arrangements in order to sign new subscribers.  This is not always apparent when dealing with order entry personnel or other first line folks, but it is indeed the case.

Re: FIOS Internet upgrade...- You CAN Get What You Want
DreadedCustomer
Contributor - Level 1

They must have been repairing/upgrading lines (they'll never admit it) but I was getting 1-2 Mbps and 2300 last night it jumped to 10-11 Mbps and stayed ther through 0715 this morning.)

If it goes back to 1 or 2, tonight, they've got too much traffic for the lines to handle at peak times.

0 Likes