FIOS Router - Can I just get a Modem and Use my Router?
vantage1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I use a FIOS Modem without your Wireless Router?

I need a Router that the USB Port actually works to be used for a Network USB Drive. When I way yours I just assumed that this Router (like all of the others) would work for this, but I was just informed that your Wireless Router's USB Port is non-functioning (except to charge your phone).

Not surprised but maybe I can put my Wireless Router Back in Service with a USB Port that actually works. What a concept ,huh?

Thank you for your prompt response.

Daryl Burns

Re: FIOS Router - Can I just get a Modem and Use my Router?
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Kinda depends. If you have fios tv as well, then yes you need to keep their router in the set up. There are several ways to connnect your own equipment to that router, and this is the one I like to use.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

Follow those instructions, and you will be up and running in no time.

If you have no tv, then you can run an ethernet cable out of the main Verizon network terminal called an ont and then call Verizon and ask them to activate the ethernet port. After they do that, you can plug your router straight in and not use the Verizon router. Keep that router though because when you terminate service, they will definetely want it back. Otherwise you'll get charged for it.

sully213

Can you elaborate more on where this is located.  If you have no tv, then you can run an ethernet cable out of the main Verizon network terminal called an ont.

I'm hoping I can use my own router and the router settings including port forwarding on my router.  Hopefully the ONT is located near the modem, so I don't have to run a wire across the driveway!

Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it might be. Some are installed outside, some are installed inside the basement or garage, attic or crawl spaces. 

You have to find yours.

FIOS ONT

Here is one users set up

And here is just a thought.  If you hook your router to the fios router LAN TO LAN and then place it in the dmz of your fios router, you can still use all your port forwarding rules.

might be an easier set up

0 Likes