FIOS Router
StuParker1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is it possible to purchase your router from Verizon for FIOS?  Right now your renting said router and figured it could be cheaper to purchase?  Also Verizon paid a service call because I was having issues with my internet which they were able to fix however I am now sitting here with 2 extra FIOS routers.  No reason why the tech that came to my house left these extras but will customer support be able to send me out a pre-paid return sticker and box to send these back in?

Thanks

Re: FIOS Router
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

There is no separate line item on your bill that shows a rental for the Verizon Router.  You can use your own router if you choose.  For the TV service you are indeed renting the set top box.

Since these are peer-to-peer forums your best bet is to call Tech Support and request they pick them up.

Jim

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

router's free

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree ... the router is free.  No cost savings to be had by substituting your own or purchasing one.

Also, keep in mind that if you're a FiOS TV customer that you need to use this router in order for your STB's to function -- the router bridges together the wireless, local LAN switch, and MoCA LAN (LAN over Coax) networks and then routes those thru the router and out to the internet (via either a WAN ethernet cable or another MoCA WAN connection).

The STB's use the internet connection to get their guide data, etc.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lasagna wrote:

Also, keep in mind that if you're a FiOS TV customer that you need to use this router in order for your STB's to function -- the router bridges together the wireless, local LAN switch, and MoCA LAN (LAN over Coax) networks and then routes those thru the router and out to the internet (via either a WAN ethernet cable or another MoCA WAN connection).

The STB's use the internet connection to get their guide data, etc.

Yep, points OP to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes