FIOS dropping my PS3 connection
tikk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had a PS3 system for five plus years. I switched from Time Warner Cable to FIOS in January 2012. I've never had problems connecting the PS3 to the internet on either service until December 2013 (five months ago). Around that time, my PS3 suddenly stopped connecting to the internet, usually giving me a 80010201 error. Attempts to reconnect were mostly futile. I prefer to connect via ethernet, but once it disconnects, the PS3 doesn't even recognize that ethernet cable is attached. Trying to connect wirelessly was equally futile. The pattern is the same each time--it connects for awhile and then drops. I can sometimes get the connection back for awhile if I reboot both the PS3 and the FIOS box.

It's worth mentioning at this point all my other devices--laptops, printer, phone, Roku box--all run flawlessly from the FIOS box--the connectivity problem only occurs with the PS3.

Not knowing who was at fault--Verizon or Sony--I first upgraded my out-of-warranty PS3, since I'd had it awhile. This did not fix the problem. I made Sony give me a *third* PS3. Same problem. This last PS3 I brought to the Sony store here in NYC, where it connected to the internet--Time Warner Cable--perfectly fine. After I brought it home, it worked for a few hours but then disconnected. And that's where I am now--I can get it to connect for short spurts but it ultimately turns up a 80010201 error.

I also had a FIOS technician by around the same time as the visit to the Sony store and had my FIOS box replaced. In other words, I've removed every possible variable involving hardware and my problem persists. Accordingly, I'm left to conclude it's not a hardware problem.

Verizon support has been no help whatsoever, and Sony's been equally useless. Both sides basically blame the other; my problem is evidently beyond either's diagnostically imagined possibilities. So I'm appealing here to see if anyone can't point me in the right direction. I've seen posts suggesting port forwarding or assigning static IPs as an answer, but am not sure if my problem is the same problem addressed by those solutions. Any help would be massively appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS dropping my PS3 connection
prisaz
Legend

You may wish to try this, as it fixed an X-box issue,

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Cannot-connect-to-xbox-live/m-p/696360#U696360

The PS3 should allow you to put in a fixed address and then uses your router as DNS. or 4.4.4.4 as mentioned in the X-box post.

Also you may need to check the plug and play settings in the router as it may not allow the router to open ports for port forwarding.

See port forwarding here. I say it may be better to lock in the IP to a fixed address on your network, and check the port forwarding, rather that enable plug and play on the router if it is off. Though plug and play, makes things easier, it may also open up some security issues.

http://portforward.com/

Verizon is fairly security consious, and usually airs on the secure side, as where I have seen some scarry things with some cable companies in regards to security.

0 Likes
TubeLugs
Enthusiast - Level 2

"A few hours" of videogaming is a "short spurt"? Dude. This is the universe telling you to get your butt off the couch once in a while.

Smiley Very Happy

Sorry...just had to insert a chuckle here. Hope you get your issue worked out.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TubeLugs wrote:

"A few hours" of videogaming is a "short spurt"? Dude. This is the universe telling you to get your butt off the couch once in a while.

Smiley Very Happy

Sorry...just had to insert a chuckle here. Hope you get your issue worked out.

Hey now... 😛

0 Likes