FIOS in 75248 Dallas Area?
Dlf4

We are a tad fed up with the slow arse 350 KB/s (~3 Mb/s) speed we get with our curent ISP. and wondering if FIOS was in our area -- the zipcode is 75248.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS in 75248 Dallas Area?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS is available in Dallas from what I know. I'm not specifically sure about that ZIP code. Who do you currently have as a Telephone company for your location?

0 Likes
KeithDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would LOVE to have FIOS! But everywhere I've lived they never offer it. TWC is good, but for what I pay, I think I should get better. I pay $80 for ~18Mbps, and that's just internet (they threw in basic cable for free, but I don't need cable - would rather pay $20 less, or get faster internet for the same).

The availability check shows it's not available for 75248. I'm stuck with TWC or AT&T (gag!!!) or lame Dish/DSL. So I'm basically stuck...

Is Verizon even still laying the wires? Or has all that dried up and whoever has it, has it?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

This is a peer-to-peer forum, so most of what you read here is from users, not Verizon staff. 

Having said that, from what I've read over the past year or two, it seems like Verizon is not planning to roll out FiOS (which is fiber, btw, not wire) to any more new neighborhoods.   I have no clue why.  If it's true, it is likely due to some business decision about the bottom line....$$$.

BTW....I'm FiOS customer and very satisfied with the FiOS service, but it ain't cheap.  At least not once any new customer deals you get expire. Smiley Wink

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

KeithDC wrote:

Is Verizon even still laying the wires? Or has all that dried up and whoever has it, has it?

Nope. Pretty much that's the deal. Whoever has it, gets it. Places that have agreements to finish a build-out, get it. Saddens me because I'm 500 feet from a FiOS neighborhood, and the DSL connection I use has an uncertain future.

KeithDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Understand about this being a peer-to-peer. My apologies if it sounded as though I was looking for feedback from a Verizon CS rep. Also understand its fiber, having worked in the telecom industry for 8 years - That was simply a wording slip on my part. Aside from that, I truly appreciate your insight on it not being cheap after the promotions expire. That kind of woke me up a bit to where I'm currently at. In any case, thanks for the feedback!

0 Likes
KeithDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea, that's what I'm kinda figuring too. It was so exciting to see the trucks rolling out when I lived in Carrollton circa 2004-2005, and so disheartening in not seeing them, or anyone else for that matter, still rolling out the fiber. I thought that was the wave of the future, but I'm guessing cell phones likely put a big dent in its side. I feel worse for you though, being so close, yet so far away. A good buddy of mine said he's had great success with Grande Communications, if they're available in your neighborhood. They're not in mine 😕

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Grande is pretty good but has a pretty small foot print in Dallas.  The are offering 1 GB in Austin.

0 Likes