FiOS Gateway
SeanP19671
Enthusiast - Level 2

My new FiOS Gateway needs to be rebooted every day.

I got my Gateway 3 days ago and when everything is working it's awesome!!  I have configured the router with two unique SSID names for the 2.4 and 5.0 networks (although I am using the same password for both).  Everyday now I have had to restart the router because the 2.4 network basically shuts down.  All devices that are connected to the 2.4 network get kicked off and cannot reconnect.  When I try to reconnect to the 2.4 SSID it asks for the password and doesn't accept it.  It just keeps asking for the password. 

I know the router is working because the 5.0 network still works with no problem.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Gateway
SeanP19671
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update!!  I chatted w/Tech support once more and this time I definitely got tech that knew what he was talking about.  He resolved my issue in 10 minutes. 

Recall that my issue was the 2.4GHz channel would disconnect after 8 to 12 hours and I needed to reset the router.  The Verizon tech remotely checked my router settings and made some adjustments.  As far as I can see he changed the channel on the 2.4GHz channel from "Automatic" to "11".  He also changed the 5.0GHz channel from "Automatic" to "149".  Not sure whatever else he did but my router has been working like a champ since.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Andygiddings
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue but on the 5.0 side. I called the service desk and was told it was a known issue but no fix was yet available. Only workaround is to reboot

0 Likes
SeanP19671
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update...I had a very frustrating 2 hour conversation with technical support but I'll say more about that later.

Again, about 12 hours after rebooting the router the 2.4GHz band disconnected.  The 5.0GHz band continued to function just fine and with no loss in performance.  Instead of rebooting the router I went in to the web-based setup screens and turned off the Guest WiFi (I thought of trying thos because I understand that a recent firmware update ADDED the Guest WiFi - I thought maybe the recent update was part of the issue). 

Initially shutting off the Guest WiFi caused all radios (including the 5.0GHz band I was attached to) to shut down but after about 2-3 minutes the 2.4GHz band came back to life as well as the 5.0GHz band.  I'm not sure what this means but I'll keep an eye on it and let you know what happens.

0 Likes
SeanP19671
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update!!  I chatted w/Tech support once more and this time I definitely got tech that knew what he was talking about.  He resolved my issue in 10 minutes. 

Recall that my issue was the 2.4GHz channel would disconnect after 8 to 12 hours and I needed to reset the router.  The Verizon tech remotely checked my router settings and made some adjustments.  As far as I can see he changed the channel on the 2.4GHz channel from "Automatic" to "11".  He also changed the 5.0GHz channel from "Automatic" to "149".  Not sure whatever else he did but my router has been working like a champ since.

0 Likes