FiOS Internet & TV for new home
rome99

I will getting FiOS Internet & TV for my new home. Should I ask them to install ethernet cable for internet and co-axial for TV? or run both on same co-axial? Which would be better? Will I face any problem if I want to replace my own router later? Please advice.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Internet & TV for new home - Home Run Wiring
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

rome99 wrote:

I will getting FiOS Internet & TV for my new home. Should I ask them [?] to install ethernet cable for internet and co-axial for TV? or run both on same co-axial? Which would be better? Will I face any problem if I want to replace my own router later?

I think you're asking whether the home electrical contractors should run certain cables, rather than whether Verizon should run certain cables (hence the "[?]").  If so ...

It's always better to have more wiring than less.  Ideally you should run both coax (minimum RG6) and Ethernet (minimum Cat5e) from every location where you anticipate needing a connection, back to a central wiring panel where your connections will be terminated and connected, and equipment will be mounted.  This arrangement is called a "home run" system.  You will want the VZ installation techs to locate the FiOS gear (ONT, etc.) there.  You will also require electrical outlets and related gear at the panel.

In my own case when building a new home we used a combination cable that contained 2 individual RG6 cables and two individual Cat5e cables.  Each combo ran from a "station" to the central wiring panel in the basement, which is where the Verizon equipment is located.  This arrangement is extremely flexible, but takes a little doing and it certainly is not "free."

For details see this link and associated images:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/Cmon-Show-Us-Your-Network/m-p/481733#M765

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Internet & TV for new home - Home Run Wiring
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

rome99 wrote:

I will getting FiOS Internet & TV for my new home. Should I ask them [?] to install ethernet cable for internet and co-axial for TV? or run both on same co-axial? Which would be better? Will I face any problem if I want to replace my own router later?

I think you're asking whether the home electrical contractors should run certain cables, rather than whether Verizon should run certain cables (hence the "[?]").  If so ...

It's always better to have more wiring than less.  Ideally you should run both coax (minimum RG6) and Ethernet (minimum Cat5e) from every location where you anticipate needing a connection, back to a central wiring panel where your connections will be terminated and connected, and equipment will be mounted.  This arrangement is called a "home run" system.  You will want the VZ installation techs to locate the FiOS gear (ONT, etc.) there.  You will also require electrical outlets and related gear at the panel.

In my own case when building a new home we used a combination cable that contained 2 individual RG6 cables and two individual Cat5e cables.  Each combo ran from a "station" to the central wiring panel in the basement, which is where the Verizon equipment is located.  This arrangement is extremely flexible, but takes a little doing and it certainly is not "free."

For details see this link and associated images:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/Cmon-Show-Us-Your-Network/m-p/481733#M765

0 Likes