FiOS Quantum Gateway Router - Intermittent Dropped Connections
keleko68

Hi All,

I upgraded my FiOS service a couple of weeks ago to the Quantum 50/50 service and bought the Quantum Gateway/router (model# FiOS-G1100). I used to use the Actiontec router (model# MI424WR, Rev. I).

I've been having issues probably for months with intermittent or dropped connections on both wired and wireless connections. Fast forward to the beginning of December. I called tech support enough to the point of them sending a tech out to look at it. My ONT was old, and he replaced it. I had hoped that this was the issue, but it wasn't. The drop-offs continued.

I again hoped the upgrade in service and router would also fix the issue. Nope... didn't. This 'latest, most powerful' router only has two lights on it, one for wireless signal and the other that looks like a globe. The router sits on my desk, so I can watch the lights. 

While I am surfing around, the globe light will suddenly flash for about 5-10 seconds. While this is happening, my connection drops/stops, and then resumes a couple of seconds after the globe light stops blinking. I also noticed that the globe light will turn red once in a while, but not nearly as often as the blinking white does.

It's not really consistent as to how long I can be online before the connection starts dropping. I haven't honestly watched it for a long period of time (in other words, I don't know if it's still doing it while I'm not at the computer). I just notice it while I'm trying to use the connection. Once the router starts disconnecting, it can happen as often as every few minutes. VERY annoying.

My setup is:

2 Mac laptops (one used wirelessly and one used wired connected to a display)

1 Apple TV (wired)

1 Apple Airport Express (wired)

1 printer (wired)

I don't have any cordless phones, powerline adapters, wifi extenders, or other electronics that might be messing with the signal. I use VPN software but haven't noticed a difference with it on or off (I think).

Any thoughts as to what this might be or where to look? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway Router - Intermittent Dropped Connections
jonjones1
Legend

@WLostwrote:
JonJones - Thank you for this information. I just upgraded to 75 speed (yes, I'm clueless about options and terms). The signal strength is fine but the devices are all dropping off. Even the ethernet connection to the router is intermittent. If I purchase a better router, do I need the Quantum Gateway router at all? Do I just send that back and install my own in the same manner/settings as this piece of junk from Verizon? Thanks so much for your help. WLost

You can use any router you choose. However if you don’t have a Fios router in the mix the support people will only service up to the ONT and no further. Additionally if you have tv service the router from Verizon has to be used or a MOCA adapter to use your set top boxes. If you have internet only you can just buy a Netgear or Asus router, just make sure it has mimo and has triband with beam forming antenna to get the best performance for a/ac/b/g/n 

you could keep the Quantum connected to get the DHCP only and put your own router into access point mode (AP) then go into the Quantum and turn off the WiFi and let the better router handle WiFi and ip assignment.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your router receiving it's Internet connection through Coaxial from the ONT or is it using a CAT5e cable?

When the Internet goes out, have you been able to catch the status lights on the ONT? It may be worthwhile to take a look at the ONT when the Internet drops to see if the status lights clue at anything. Take note of anything different from when the service is working normally.

0 Likes
Cy11

I am experiencing the exact same issue. My issue also started after i upgraded to their 50/50 plan and swapped out my Actiontech M42xxx for the Quantum Gateway Router. They had me do the following and i am still having the issue.

1. disconnect the coaxial cable and the power from the router

2. Reset the fios box in my garage by unscrewing the battery power and removing the battery

3. Replaced the router (Verizon did this and the replacement was another Quantum Gateway)

4. Replaced the box in my garage (Verizon did this)

@keleko68 wrote:

Hi All,

I upgraded my FiOS service a couple of weeks ago to the Quantum 50/50 service and bought the Quantum Gateway/router (model# FiOS-G1100). I used to use the Actiontec router (model# MI424WR, Rev. I).

I've been having issues probably for months with intermittent or dropped connections on both wired and wireless connections. Fast forward to the beginning of December. I called tech support enough to the point of them sending a tech out to look at it. My ONT was old, and he replaced it. I had hoped that this was the issue, but it wasn't. The drop-offs continued.

I again hoped the upgrade in service and router would also fix the issue. Nope... didn't. This 'latest, most powerful' router only has two lights on it, one for wireless signal and the other that looks like a globe. The router sits on my desk, so I can watch the lights. 

While I am surfing around, the globe light will suddenly flash for about 5-10 seconds. While this is happening, my connection drops/stops, and then resumes a couple of seconds after the globe light stops blinking. I also noticed that the globe light will turn red once in a while, but not nearly as often as the blinking white does.

It's not really consistent as to how long I can be online before the connection starts dropping. I haven't honestly watched it for a long period of time (in other words, I don't know if it's still doing it while I'm not at the computer). I just notice it while I'm trying to use the connection. Once the router starts disconnecting, it can happen as often as every few minutes. VERY annoying.

My setup is:

2 Mac laptops (one used wirelessly and one used wired connected to a display)

1 Apple TV (wired)

1 Apple Airport Express (wired)

1 printer (wired)

I don't have any cordless phones, powerline adapters, wifi extenders, or other electronics that might be messing with the signal. I use VPN software but haven't noticed a difference with it on or off (I think).

Any thoughts as to what this might be or where to look? Thanks in advance.

I am still having the issue. there is obviously an issue and either Verizon knows about it and doesn't want to say they know there is an issue and fix it, or they are too dumb to take the time to find out. Each time i call i give them detailed information on the issue and ask them to check their knowledgebase if its listed as a know issue and they keep saying it's not. The issue happened again tonight, 1/8/15. at first my laptop dropped Internet connection while i was surfing. then i checked my other wi-fi devices and they all lost connection. i then went and checked my wired devices and they too lost connection. I look at the router and this time both the Globe Internet and the Wi-Fi lights were solid white. i looked at the Internet Ethernet light and the bottom light was green.

I could have resolved the issue by unplugging the router and plug it in back, but instead i called Verizon so they could see the issue. 10 minutes into the Verizon call queue the Globe Internet light changed from solid white to solid red. 5 minutes later i finally got to speak to a tech. at first he said the box in my garage wasn't connecting to the router and asked me to disconnect the coaxial cable and the power and, according to him, he sent some command and instructed me to connect the coaxial cable and power the router back on. I did that and then the issue went away.

I told him the rootcause of the issue was not identified and fixed and the issue would occur again and i needed him to alert engineering or product development about the issue. i then told him its a know issue with the router and he should do a google with "Verizon Quantum Gateway dropping connection" and he would see how many people are having the same issue. I told him Verizon need to take their heads out their A*%%%$ and spend some time and investigate and resolve the issue.

Me

0 Likes
dpgold

I am having the same problem.

0 Likes
Digitalstylee

Same exact issue here.  Upgraded to 50/50 and purchased the Quantum Gateway.  Interestingly, I kept my old router to be used with my home theater system.  So I have that as backup and it has helped with troubleshooting that this is definitely a hardware issue.  Why?  Becuase my old router continues to work everytime the new one disconnects.

Also, received an email from Verizon yesterday stating that "Your FiOS Quantum Gateway has received an automatic update!".  My guess is that they tried to push through a patch, but it didn't help, because I'm still having the issue...

0 Likes
herbc0704
Same problem. Nothing like being duped into buying something that is supposed to be way better and it is actually worst.
0 Likes
fiosxbox1

Well, so far i am experiencing the same.  One thing to understand is that this router is a dual band 2.4 and 5ghz.  One thing is that if you don't configure your router, it will assign the SSID for both dual bands, meaning, if you have an iphone5 or 6, i have an iphone 6, and let's say you are connected on the 5ghz and you walk, in an area of your house that 5ghz does not reach, it will switch to 2.4ghz, that switch time frame it will slow it down and it will go back to 5ghz once if finds a good connection on the 5ghz band.  From what im reading, the 5ghz is very limited as far as range, you would think it would have a better range but it doesn't, the 2.4ghz does have a better range.  So, what i have done so far is create to different SSID, one for the 2.4 and one for the 5 and my test so far, the 2.4ghz is much better.  i am thinking of returning this new router and go back to my old one.  Until the 5ghz becomes more of a standard and better range, it is usuless this router.

these are my two cents.

AMEN Smiley Sad

0 Likes
fiosxbox1

I forgot to add that my house is a two story house and my router is in one of the rooms in the first floor.  Where you install your router place is big part too, but mine has worked fine with the 2.4ghz.

0 Likes
dweems4

I am having the same problem! I have had the router for a few weeks and I am considering returing it and buying a different one. Or at least purchasing one at Best Buy and testing if this problem is just with the Verizon router. I was going to call Verizon, but after reading everyone else's experience with calling Verizon, I am not going to waste my time.

0 Likes
dpgold

I am having the same problem.

0 Likes