FiOS internet signal drops with new computer
MICP2112
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all, I hope you can help me.

Here is the issue: I have FiOS internet. My desktop is wired into the router. I have 2 other laptops connected via WiFi. All of my systems are Windows-based and I have no problem. I have a neighbor who owns a new Apple OS laptop. Whenever she brings her laptop here, the signal drops within a few minutes. She is initially able to detect the signal and connect, but then she looses the connection and so does every other PC laptop in the house. I have rebooted the computers as well as the router. Sometimes that corrects the issue and sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does, it is only temporary. Once she powers down her Mac Book and I reboot the router again, all is fine.

She is in the same neighborhood and she has FiOS as well and does not expereince this problem at her house. I am considering getting an Mac Book soon but my family will still be using PC in the house so this problem needs to be identified and fixed.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks..

Re: FiOS internet signal drops with new computer
fredmac2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having a similar issue and don't know how your's in configured but mine started when I changed my setting to wpa.  When the tech installed it, he set it to WEP and told me that was best, but after talking with another tech, I was told WPA was safer, and that we could use it no problem.  So we changed it to WPA, and ever since it has been slower and loses connection a lot.  Don't know why.  Maybe that's an issue for you as well?

Re: FiOS internet signal drops with new computer
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just as a heads up, WPA2-PSK AES tends to be the most suitable for security and speed. WPA-PSK TKIP, while it is capable of supporting the speed is driven mainly by software. This will load down the router a bit more than needed. WEP isn't as heavy of a security scheme, but it's easier to crack as a result.

As to why the Mac is causing the connection drops, I've seen issues regarding some equipment and bad Wireless channels, or auto-scan features causing drops. Logging into the router and disabling/changing such settings may resolve the issue. Additionally, forcing the ActionTec to Wireless G mode may do something.