FiOS router limits number of MAC address Authentication
whutsupdoc

Why is my FiOS router limiting my MAC address Authentication to just 10 (ten)???!!

I use both WPA2 and MAC authentication to allow wireless access for my internet connection.  I've have many more than 10 wireless devices as I'm certain many others do as everything is wireless nowadays. 

I'm trying to add my smart phones to the list.  It will add them, allow connection and then shortly afterwards the connection is lost.  I log back into the router and the newly added MAC address is NOT there!!!  **bleep**!!

It seems the list is limited to just 10 MAC addresses... I have other wireless routers from comcast and it allows 30... so whats the problem here Verizon??!!

0 Likes
Re: FiOS router limits number of MAC address Authentication
Hubrisnxs
Legend

SSID Hiding Is Futile (So Is MAC Address Filtering)

its not a very affective security measure, wpa2 will be sufficient.  I am not sure why the firmware limits ten, but you shouldn't really bother with it anyway

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

SSID Hiding Is Futile (So Is MAC Address Filtering)

its not a very affective security measure, wpa2 will be sufficient.  I am not sure why the firmware limits ten, but you shouldn't really bother with it anyway

It's pretty common for residential routers on the stock firmware to seem to limit the addresses to 10. My old Linksys router once you got past 10 devices would stop running MAC Address filtering (yet, it had 30 fields!).

whutsupdoc

I realize WPA2 is secure, but I also want to limit which computers have access to my router/system/internet.  It's a "just in case" some figures out my WPA2 password, MAC filtering will act as a second defense to keep them off my network.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's a good idea in theory, but the sortware to sniff your mac addresses is free, they don't need access to your router to spoof your mac addresses and pretend they are you, and then it takes only a few minutes to do all this.  That is why the security experts say don't bother. 

I can't speak for verizon or actiontec, but if I had to wager a guess as to why a limit, then that would be my guess.  It's not very secure, in fact from what I read it's less secure to do mac filtering, then it is to do WEP - and we all know how many security holes WEP has. 

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Especially Verizon's WEP.

0 Likes