Fios Actiontec router and Access Point
duxdad2

Just returned to FIOS from Comcast.

I have always had an access point conneted to my router, fomerly a Dlink 4500 and was able to access all devices on the network through the access point.  Now I can access none of the devices. Neither of my two printers or my network drive. I have to believe there is some setting that will allow me normal connections through the accerss point.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Fios Actiontec router and Access Point
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

How are you connecting the DL 4500 to your FiOS router?

I have a similar setup working here configured this way:

Actionec router...

My Network > Network (Home/Office) > DNS Server

Start IP Address: 192.168.100

End IP Address: 192.168254

DLink router....

Network Settings > Router IP Address 192.168.0.50 

Enable DHCP Server - Unchecked (disabled)

DLink LAN (not WAN) port connected to a LAN port on the Actiontec.

DLink then works as a network switch, through it's other LAN ports, and as a WiFi access point, using the Actiontec's DHCP server and range of DNS addresses.

0 Likes
duxdad2

Thanks for the reply.

Currently the main router is the Actiontec. The access point, currenty a Netgear set in AP mode is connected via ethernet to the Actiontec. I can access the internet via the access point but cannot print to the wireless printers set to the Actiontec or my network drive.

My original mail router , the Dlink is resting on a chair 🙂

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If you haven't already, you need to make sure the DLink is set to the same IP subset as the Actiontec...192.168.1.xx.  My Dlink's factory default was 192.168.0.1.

0 Likes
duxdad2
I have both AP's set up as AP's using the routers mode. I previously set them up a you have and will try that again. maybe I am being to slick😀
0 Likes
duxdad2

I replaced the Asus router I was trying to use with the old Dlink and it worked correctly.. I could see and use anll devices on the network,

Now I would like to figure out how to get the Asus to worl. It does not have a specific disable DHCP option. It does have three modes, router, Access point and bridge. Not sure what bridge does for me but might investigate it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for helping we work through it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I guess I didn't understand that you were trying to use a different device that the DLink.  If the DLink works...why not just use it?

If it has to be the Asus, you might try bridge mode, but I have no hands on experience with an Asus router so that leaves me without any further ideas.   If bridge mode doesn't do it, maybe someone else will come along with a solution.

Good luck.

0 Likes