Fios Internet Lagging, on & off, and nowhere close to the proper bandwidth!
AnthonyJWinslow

Ok so i have contacted verizon 3 times now about how horrible my fios internet is... first time they rebuilt some background connections, second time they reset my ONT and router, third time we optimized my computer... the third time the internet ran great 43Mbps upload and 43Mbps download. that was last night. i wake up this morning to what again... slow internet. 7Mbps download speeds. right back to what it was origionally. Oh i am paying for 35/35. can anyone actually fix this issue? this is affecting more then my PC in that my interenet will random shutoff completely even though the router says im connected. My xbox's, which are wired not wireless, have the same issues and no matter what i do the internet will be great one minute and then BAM horrible the next. i have to head to class so i will post a better description later but if anyone can do something while im in class that would be awesome!

AJW

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet Lagging, on & off, and nowhere close to the proper bandwidth!
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar issue. I only notice it with streaming services like Skype and Netflix (unless it is a netflix app that buffers) and my gaming service xbox LIVE. It basically makes it so I can't play online games at all. It seems to drop any or most data flow for 2-5 seconds then comes back. I notice it most when gaming, but my wife does tutoring and class work over Skype and it drops every 8-10min. 

I've been working with a great tech. He replaced my router twice (just in case) the box on the front of the house had the board replaced. His T2 support guy found no errors on their end. He did mention that iOS 5 devices may affect it due to some bug that hammers the router. But I've got numerous friends and all my neighbors who see no issue. But then I'm the only hardcore gamer I think.

0 Likes
AnthonyJWinslow

lol exactly my issue! my house is full of gamers =P i have two xbox's and when the internet is working both xboxs run with basically no lag. once the internet starts acting up everyone is lagging all over the place! mine cuts out for 2-5 seconds as well. idk man im getting a bit frustrated with it

0 Likes
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also posted in the thread next to this one with another guy having the same issue (lots of game consoles as well). I've been working with my technician for three days now (he's been great with communication).

Basically, from a troubleshooting standpoint, I've eliminated the consoles (I've tried multiple), the router (this is my third and I even hooked up a Linksys), and the ONT (replaced by tech). So its either my wiring (issue between the router and ONT) or the line from ONT to service. And since I'm not the only one, I'm willing to wager its a problem outside the house.

0 Likes
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found this thread a few pages down in the forums:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Unable-to-make-connection-to-XBox-Live/td-p/366223

Specific to LIVE connection and basically the solution (for them) was to release and renew till they got a new IP in a different range. I may try this when I get home.

0 Likes
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ran home at lunch and tried the solution in the post above. Have to release like 4 times before I got a new IP (2-3min for it to renew itself), but tossed in Mass Effect 3 and played a 20min round with no lag, even as host. I'll 'stress' test it tonight, but I have my fingers crossed that its just a batch of IPs that have to jump through extra hoops and don't like MS.

0 Likes
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solution worked for me. You probably grabbed a bum IP some while ago. Try it out, good luck!

0 Likes