Fios Routers Unavailable for Pickup
SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

So..

I needed a place to 'vent'...   Looks like my router has died today.  Spent

some time on the phone with the Fios tech who was very good.  He said

he would ship me out a router, but I would not get it until Monday.  Apparently

the contract with UPS does not allow for Saturday delivery.  So..  I asked him

if I could pick one up at the local Verizon depot.  He said that the depots only

carry set top boxes. 

What the ????*(&*(^%($($(

So since (unfortunately) everyone in the household really uses the internet now

everyday, and hardly watches TV you can get the cable boxes local, but the router(s)

have to be shipped ???  Hope this doesnt become a re-curring thing, because I

know i can go down to my local CableVision depot and pick up a Modem without

any issues.  I dont get it, the Fios trucks must have them, let them send an installer

over and replace the box.

I'm not happy at all....

0 Likes
Re: Fios Routers Unavailable for Pickup
SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK...

Got home, turned it off, reset the router, etc...

Got it working.  Went to load the config files I save earlier this year with all the custom

settings i have done.  I receive a 'bad format of configuration file' error.  Does anyone know

if there was a firmware update recently to the the GEN2 version of the MI424WR's ?

-syssjr

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't have an answer, but I feel your pain.  Things always break on Fridays and resolution can''t occur 'til Monday for what you think is a 24/7 operation.  I had similar issues with Comcast when my modem decided not to work on Friday nights and I could only get a tech in on Monday or later.  IN my case the modem always seemed to come back to life after  lol so I would cancel the visit.  Can't fix what doesn't appear to be broken.

SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well.... now i feel bad... low & behold, UPS delivered another Router today. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@SYSSJR wrote:

Well.... now i feel bad... low & behold, UPS delivered another Router today. 

Use the new one and send the old one back with the box and RMA / UPS label provided. If you do not send a router back, you will be charge $100 for it on your bill. Be sure to right down the tracking number provided on the UPS label, and it is best to take the package to the UPS store and get a receipt. Track it and keep all paperwork as proof of your return.

SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will do... just replaced it.

Wen't to restore settings from old router.  Wouldnt let me.  Said it wasn't the

same device.  I guess you can only restore to the original router ?  That doesnt

make sense...

prisaz
Legend

@SYSSJR wrote:

Will do... just replaced it.

Wen't to restore settings from old router.  Wouldnt let me.  Said it wasn't the

same device.  I guess you can only restore to the original router ?  That doesnt

make sense...

Newer router probably different firmware and possibly newer hardware revision.

0 Likes
FIXED: Re: Fios Routers Unavailable for Pickup
chieftaing
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Actiontec VZ router went loopy Wed night.  Called tech support and got a new one on order that night; shipping Thur for arrival Friday.  Spent maybe 15-20 min doing troubleshooting; they were pretty quick to agree it needed replacing (no power light but some other lights on - weird).

I googled verzion "retail stores" and found one near me (metro-west Boston).  I called them during biz hours on Thur, they absolutely have the replacement Actiontec VZ router; I remembered to take the dead one with me and swung by the verzion retail store (mine open until 6PM) after work.  They took the dead one, gave me a new one, took 10 min MAX in the store - very pleasant.  Got the router back up and running great Thur night.

I must say that when the router died Wed night, I was expecting many frustrating hours before it was replaced and the family could get back on the internet.  I was very pleased with Verizon's response and how easy they made replacing the router.  It felt essentially like the replacement of a cable box - little fuss and muss.

Meanwhile, I was able to use a Cisco/Linksys router that I was using as a wireless AP only to get the family back online; again the Verizon folks were very helpful with this even though its technically not a supported config.  They reset whatever was necessary for the Linksys to do a successful DHCP renew on the WAN.

Thanks verizon for making this easy.

Re: FIXED: Re: Fios Routers Unavailable for Pickup
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Not sure why they told you that you can't pick one up at the store, the Local Verizon Stores have them,  Go to this link and check if yours does.   http://www22.verizon.com/home/storelocator/

0 Likes