Fios.....but DSL modem in my apt
jigarner
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Fios but becuase I live in an apartment i have a DSL modem bringing the signal from a central location in our building to my apartment....I am having serious bandwidth and speed issues....not to mention the fact that I am paying the same price as others who get 25/25 and I am only getting 20/5.....Is there anyone familiar with this that might have advice or have you gotten verizon to come installs a ONT in your individual apartment?

0 Likes
Re: Fios.....but DSL modem in my apt
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This depends on what sort of agreement your Landlord signed into with Verizon. Ideally, Verizon tries to get ONTs to each unit, but unless building design prohibits this or if the landlord didn't want that, Verizon then resorts to using VDSL/VDSL2 to supply FiOS internet service. It's not as good, of course.

What modem do you currently have? A Westell or a ZyXel? That should tell us what form of VDSL you're using. VDSL2 is capable of speeds around 100Mbps, however Verizon does not provision lines that high as they are theoretical, and multiple lines in a pair will not play well at 100Mbps/100Mbps.

jigarner
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the ZyXel

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it's fine for fios, unless you are having wireless issues, which can be fixed with a couple settings changes in your router, or if it's wired, then you might need a field tech depending on if it's line problems coming upto your unit. in general it handles the speed well.

To get fios to bring an ONT in your apartment, would require a change in the way your apt complex contracted with Verizon to bring it in.  So I am not sure that will happen with any kind of urgency.    

can you describe your problem more, is it wired or wireless,  what do you get when you do speedtests?  have you optimized?  done any virus and spyware checks ?    

wadood
Enthusiast - Level 2

same scenario here...just moved from an mdu apartment that i rent to a condo that i own

same setup of equipment with the zyxel vdsl modem

20/5 speeds..which seems to be working as advertised

only problem is latency

1st hop is always at 20ms!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wadood wrote:

same scenario here...just moved from an mdu apartment that i rent to a condo that i own

same setup of equipment with the zyxel vdsl modem

20/5 speeds..which seems to be working as advertised

only problem is latency

1st hop is always at 20ms!

See if Verizon will change your VDSL line from Interleaved to FastPath, or if they will reduce the Interleaving depth to almost nothing. That should get you to about 4-8ms. They may not support doing that because it can introduce disconnects if your apartment's wiring is not the greatest but considering AT&T is using VDSL on U-Verse over much longer distances, it shouldn't hurt.

Good chance though Verizon won't make the change 😕

0 Likes