Fios dies frequently during colder weather
jpd301
Enthusiast - Level 1

Every winter the internet connection becomes extremely spotty.  Connectivity between the router and the world will be dropped multiple times per day.  It becomes extremely frustrating.  When I log into the router it will show the wan side connection (Broadband Connection (Coax)) as being down/disconnected etc. All of my devices remain connected to the router, its just no connection between the router and the world.

Most of the time, it is the internet only that is affected.  Usually if I just sit around a while it will come back up by itself.  Regardless it is extremely bothersome to not have the internet when you need it.  On some occasions the phones and tv service will be down also, and I will have to go out to the garage and disconnect the battery, then unplug the power to the ont, wait, and plug it all back in. 

The connection will usually be rock solid for the most part from say March to November.  But December - February its horribly unreliable. This will be the fourth winter now of this mess and quite frankly its ridiculous.  I was wondering in anyone had seen similar behavior and what if anything they did to resolve it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios dies frequently during colder weather
jpd301
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

Have you called the Fiber Solutions Center while one or all of your services are down (cell phone if needed) to see if they can see the ONT reporting any issues with light coming to or from the ONT? It sounds like one of the Lightwaves (FiOS uses Multimode fiber) may be having some issues with light quality, it could simply be due to a bad splice somewhere or some damage to a fiber cable.

This year no I have not called during any of the outages.  In previous years yes I have called support. They always have me go do the 'pull the battery, pull the power, wait, plug it all back in" Routine.  In the event that doesn't work they have had me go outside and do something at the box on the outside of the house but I don't remember what exactly.  I want to say in 2009 they replaced the router itself.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you called the Fiber Solutions Center while one or all of your services are down (cell phone if needed) to see if they can see the ONT reporting any issues with light coming to or from the ONT? It sounds like one of the Lightwaves (FiOS uses Multimode fiber) may be having some issues with light quality, it could simply be due to a bad splice somewhere or some damage to a fiber cable.

0 Likes
jpd301
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

This year no I have not called during any of the outages.  In previous years yes I have called support. They always have me go do the 'pull the battery, pull the power, wait, plug it all back in" Routine.  In the event that doesn't work they have had me go outside and do something at the box on the outside of the house but I don't remember what exactly.  I want to say in 2009 they replaced the router itself.  

0 Likes
DanielBoston4

I have similar issue at my house. The issue is the outside connection to external circuit 

Verizon has an issue with some of these external boxes having poor weather proofing. When its warm moisture gets in (internet is fine when that happens, but when it gets cold, moisture freezes). Since its fiber optic the ice crystals interrupt the connection. The faster the connection you have the lower fault tolerance your ont in your house will accept. I would recommend making verizon replace / weather proof the public circuit your house connects to.   

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes