Fios installing
ellen_wood

Before I order Fios,, I want to make sure I understand correctly that it is only set up for one computer in the plan, otherwise I pay extra for any additional computers?  So, does this mean, that when I have guests, they will not be able to connect to wifi?  

0 Likes
Re: Fios installing
Justin46
Legend

@ellen_wood wrote:

Before I order Fios,, I want to make sure I understand correctly that it is only set up for one computer in the plan, otherwise I pay extra for any additional computers?  So, does this mean, that when I have guests, they will not be able to connect to wifi?  

Incorrect. No extra cost for adding computers, wired or wireless.

You will get a Verizon router that will have 4 ethernet ports and wireless capability enabled. You can attach up to 4 wired devices as is, and add more if you want by buying an inexpensive switch at a local store like Best Buy. You can also attach up to 200+ wireless devices. All at no extra cost.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the Verizon router will come with wireless WEP ecryption enabled. So for any wireless device to connect, you will need to enter the WEP key into that device (PC), which you can find on the label on the router. If you plan to leave wireless turned on, I highly recommend you switch to WPA or WPA2 encryption if all of your wireless devices support it, WEP is not a very secure wireless standard.

Hope this helps. If you have a problems once you get installed, if you post your questions here, I am sure someone will be able to help.

Keller, TX 76248

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You can have any number of devices connected to the Verizon FIOS service.  Verizon may install software on one PC to set up the service but the software is not required on any PC for the Verizon FIOS service to work.

You can allow anyone access to your FIOS network by plugging into the router or providing them the WEP key if you are using Wireless.    

Most folks, including myself will recommend that you change the wireless security from WEP to WPA2 pre-shared key.  Its a much stronger encrpytion.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most of that info that you posted Justin, was correct.

However, there is one thing that must be said.

@Justin wrote:

@ellen_wood wrote:

Before I order Fios,, I want to make sure I understand correctly that it is only set up for one computer in the plan, otherwise I pay extra for any additional computers?

Incorrect. No extra cost for adding computers, wired or wireless.

They will install one computer for free. If you want Verizon to setup the other computers, that will cost exrtra..

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Guys, have you noticed the lag when someone posts a reply and when its visible to the rest of us to see?  I find it bizare (and now I know why) when someone would post a question and two people would reply saying basically the same thing.  Case in point is Justin replied to the original poster and 3 minutes later I posted something very similar.  When I placed the reply there were no replies.   If I had seen Justin's reply I wouldn't have posted the same thing twice.

Have you noticed this before?

Jim

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dslr595148 wrote:

Most of that info that you posted Justin, was correct.

However, there is one thing that must be said.

They will install one computer for free. If you want Verizon to setup the other computers, that will cost exrtra..

You are correct; if you want Verizon to actually do an install of your computer(s), they will hook up only one for free, make sure it will talk to the router, etc. But I have never had Verizon do that; they installed the ONT, the router, and the wiring, and I connected my PC(s), both wired and wireless. There is absolutely no Verizon software required on any PC to connect and use that PC on the internet. So I personally don't see any value to anybody in having Verizon do that, especially for more than the one free one. From my experience, connect the ethernet cable, or enter the WEP key for wireless, and all works, at least for the 7 or 8 computers I have used on FiOS over the years - Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

But maybe that is just me......

Keller, TX 76248

arrgghh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I create a simple network password for guests or do I have to roll out the ridiculous one from Verizon everytime I have house guests??

~M

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

What you do on the inside of the house is completely up to you. You can do anything you want. But remember, that it is up to you to set it up and you have to fix it if you have problems. Verizon will only support the connection up to their router.

Now you didnt say if you are getting fios TV or not.

If you are, then you have to have the Verizon router there and you need to leave it set up they way they connect it so the TV service works correctly. You can connect your own equipment to the Verizon router and then configure your own network inside that. But the Verizon router must remain with the Verizon settings as the first connection point.

If you are only getting internet, Then have the install tech use Ethernet instead of Coax to install the router to where you want it. Then once they are gone, you can connect any router you want and set it up any way that you want. Verizon wont support it, you'll be on your own for troubleshooting, but you will be able to customize the network any way you want.

prisaz
Legend

@arrgghh wrote:

Can I create a simple network password for guests or do I have to roll out the ridiculous one from Verizon everytime I have house guests??

~M

If you create a simple password for guest, it is also a simple password for hackers. You are talking about wireless connections for the router, right?

Default is WEP with a short passkey. I have mine set to wap/wap2 and the longest encryption key possible. I believe 63 random characters.

Now what I have done is increased my security on my wireless. You can go into the wireless settings on the router and create what ever password you wish. But you can never be too secure.

Suggestion. Get the cheapest USB key you can find and create a text file with your wireless key. When someone visits they can cut and paste it into their settings. I have done that just for my wireless devices, because 63 characters with upper case, lower case, letters, numbers, any allowed symbols is almost impossible to retype correctly.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ellen_wood wrote:

Before I order Fios,, I want to make sure I understand correctly that it is only set up for one computer in the plan, otherwise I pay extra for any additional computers?    

"Setup for one computer" means the install tech will only connect the first PC to the router for free.  If you want him to run cat5 or configure other computers, there is an additional one-time charge per computer for that.  There is no recurring charge for additional computers.