Fios next week
BTOOOM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi i will be getting Fios next week and i have a linksys E4200,

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-E4200-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B004K1EZDS

i was wondering witch box would be better the one that fios provides or this one .

i was also wondering i have 2 phones at my house 1 in the living room and one in my room i want to leave the main phone in the living room and get the modem that fios provides in my room, am i able to connect the phone in the living room even if its not pluged in to the modem ? Do Verizon/Fios provide a adapter for that. its because i want to connect my Desktop directly to the modem none wireless and i don't want to have 50 feet of cable across the house . Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios next week
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BTOOOM wrote:

...  getting Fios next week and i have a linksys E4200 ... witch [sic] box would be better the one that fios provides or this one ... [?]

You don't mention which services you will have.  In most cases the Verizon Actiontec router will be required for FiOS services.  See the discussion below regarding the equipment that VZ will install.

@BTOOOM wrote:
... have 2 phones at my house 1 in the living room and one in my room i want to leave the main phone in the living room and get the modem that fios provides in my room ...
Verizon does not provide a modem.  You will most probably be getting two devices: an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and an Actiontec router (mentioned above).  The ONT handles all services, providing a WAN connection (either coax or Ethernet) for Internet services, a coax connection for video services, and an RJ11 terminal for phone.  If you have your phone wiring arranged so that it can be connected to the ONT, you will be good to go.
As noted by "hubrisnxs" you can add your own router to the network in several ways if you wish to expand your capabilities.  I'd suggest you let the install techs get their work done in the typical fashion, get everything going well, and then look into additional methods.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi and welcome aboard.  Are you getting all three services (tv/phone/internet)  or just phone and internet?

If you aren't getting tv, then just ask them to do ethernet from the service terminal (ont) that way you can use any router.  If you're getting FiOS TV then you have to use their router (doesn't mean you can't use yours as well)

Here are some FAQ's that might help.

FiOS 3.0 Networking
0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BTOOOM wrote:

...  getting Fios next week and i have a linksys E4200 ... witch [sic] box would be better the one that fios provides or this one ... [?]

You don't mention which services you will have.  In most cases the Verizon Actiontec router will be required for FiOS services.  See the discussion below regarding the equipment that VZ will install.

@BTOOOM wrote:
... have 2 phones at my house 1 in the living room and one in my room i want to leave the main phone in the living room and get the modem that fios provides in my room ...
Verizon does not provide a modem.  You will most probably be getting two devices: an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and an Actiontec router (mentioned above).  The ONT handles all services, providing a WAN connection (either coax or Ethernet) for Internet services, a coax connection for video services, and an RJ11 terminal for phone.  If you have your phone wiring arranged so that it can be connected to the ONT, you will be good to go.
As noted by "hubrisnxs" you can add your own router to the network in several ways if you wish to expand your capabilities.  I'd suggest you let the install techs get their work done in the typical fashion, get everything going well, and then look into additional methods.
BTOOOM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks and Yea i will be getting all 3 service

0 Likes
BTOOOM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does the ONT have to be close to the actiontec router ?

cos i want to leave the phone with the answering machine on the living room Connected to the ONT?

and connect my desktop connected to the actiontec router, does the router comes with a ethernet port i'm guessing it does . 

0 Likes
BTOOOM
Enthusiast - Level 1

nvm nvm Thanks for your help i get it now xD

0 Likes