Fios upload problem with firefox
tekstriker

just got 25Mb/25Mb Fios along with the Extreme HD tv service installed today and was having upload speed problems while running Firefox.  Had speed of 25Mb download but 4-7Mb upload.  Tested with IE8 and got download of 24-25Mb and upload of 21Mb.  Did another test with Google Chrome and got better result same 24Mb-25Mb download and 23-24Mb of upload.  What is the problem here with Firefox?   Currently running Window Vista Ultimate 64-bit version all updated to latest version, Intel i920 OC to 3.8Ghz, 6GB of Corsair Dominator DDR3 triple channel ram, Asus Deluxe P6T motherboard, ATI Raedon 4870 X2 (yea i know its a little old, but was waiting for the new videocards to get a little cheaper before upgrading to either the ATI 5870 or nVidia 470), harddrives are 300GB Velicoraptor and 1TB Seagate 7200rpm and 2TB WD Green drive.  Use this PC mainly for online gaming MMO's and FPS's games.  This PC was built around 2 years ago so parts are a little old, but was having no problem at my old home with Fios 15Mb/5Mb plan, got what i paid for there with the Firefox.  15Mb download and 5Mb upload everytime i tested the speed out for 3-5 months since it was installed. 

Ran both Speedtest.net and Speaskeasy.net tests.  Fios guys even ran the optimizers and that didn't help at all, they said since this was an issue with Firefox and not IE or Chrome that was not really Verizon problem since i was able to get ~25Mb upload speed on the other 2 broswer.  Is anyone else having problem with their Firefox Upload Speed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios upload problem with firefox
prisaz
Legend

Be sure you have the latest version of Firefox/3.6.6. Some of the older versions may have had issues. I did a google search and only found the postings for upload speed issues from 2009 and back.

My speed test with Firefox/3.6.6 Windows Vista Business 64 bit with service pack 2.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 35.14Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 35.78Mb/s

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

Be sure you have the latest version of Firefox/3.6.6. Some of the older versions may have had issues. I did a google search and only found the postings for upload speed issues from 2009 and back.

My speed test with Firefox/3.6.6 Windows Vista Business 64 bit with service pack 2.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/java/

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 35.14Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 35.78Mb/s

tekstriker

thanks for the reply, Firefox seems to been way out of date version 3.0.16.  that seems strange since i have it to check for update everytime i load it up.  Winxp PC i have that i also used it up to date.  Again thanks again for your help upload speed on east coast is now around~24-25Mbs.  Too bad that west coast speed test are around ~10-15Mbs upload while it wwas around ~1-3Mbs before the firefox update, but my old Fios connection at my old house still gets the full 5Mbs upload for the 15/5 plan.  It is a shame we can't get everything we pay for since most gaming servers are on the west coast

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tekstriker wrote:

thanks for the reply, Firefox seems to been way out of date version 3.0.16.  that seems strange since i have it to check for update everytime i load it up.  Winxp PC i have that i also used it up to date.  Again thanks again for your help upload speed on east coast is now around~24-25Mbs.  Too bad that west coast speed test are around ~10-15Mbs upload while it wwas around ~1-3Mbs before the firefox update, but my old Fios connection at my old house still gets the full 5Mbs upload for the 15/5 plan.  It is a shame we can't get everything we pay for since most gaming servers are on the west coast

If you do a trace route to those servers, I am sure it passes throught many networks that are not under Verizons control. But glad to be of help with Firefox. All is good here in the State to the South of you.Smiley Happy

0 Likes