Fix your peering agreement
SteveK1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm about to drop my FiOS account and switch back to Comcast.  The peering agreement (or lack there of) that you have with the Tier 1 Backbone Providers is crap.  Somehow I'm showing a 75 megabit conneciton to speedtest.net, but I get about 500 kb to Netflix during non-peak hours.  My Pandora buffers every few minutes, YouTube videos are almost unwatchable due to low resolution and constant buffering and my download speeds for various sites are extremly low.  I know you're going to blame the Tier 1 providers, but it has been proven that you're the issue, not them (https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140718/06533327927/level3-proves-that-verizon-is-absolutely-to-b...  Fix it or I'll take my money elsewhere.

0 Likes
Re: Fix your peering agreement
PJL
Master - Level 3

@SteveK1234 wrote:

I'm about to drop my FiOS account and switch back to Comcast.  The peering agreement (or lack there of) that you have with the Tier 1 Backbone Providers is crap.  Somehow I'm showing a 75 megabit conneciton to speedtest.net, but I get about 500 kb to Netflix during non-peak hours.  My Pandora buffers every few minutes, YouTube videos are almost unwatchable due to low resolution and constant buffering and my download speeds for various sites are extremly low.  I know you're going to blame the Tier 1 providers, but it has been proven that you're the issue, not them (https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140718/06533327927/level3-proves-that-verizon-is-absolutely-to-b...  Fix it or I'll take my money elsewhere.

You statemens imply that the peering arrangement between Netflix and Verizon's consumer ISP network is based on traditional paradigms and Tier-1 ISPs.  The steams I receive from Netflix mostly come from NTT and Telia (not considered as Tier 1 providers).  Verizon is considered a Tier 1 ISP but the peering agreement with Tier 2 ISPs NTT and Telia may be such that they have to pay if they want to dump more into the Verizon network than what's in the contractual peering document.

In the "old days" all the ISPs played together and connected together without regard fo the traffic symetry.  Unfortunately that's no longer the case.  Everybody wants to get paid.

0 Likes