Re: G1100 Rant
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@razeldazel2 wrote:

i also have the old MI424WR here which does bridge mode but only supports 50/50 internet speed according to verizon when in reality it only supports 25/25. 

You must have an older model of the MI424WR.  I have the rev I. and routinely got 80/80 from it before I switched to the G1100.  Verizon does not require a G1100 for any of their TV services.  You can use an Actiontec, although I'd stick with the rev I and avoid the older, slower models.

I'm happy they let me pay for the router.  I wish they would let me pay for the set-top-boxes.  I've had FiOS TV for many years and I'm certain I've paid for the many times over.  I could go TiVO and cable card (which works without a VZ router), but that doesn't integrate as well with VZ's services.  I like on-demand and PPV.  So, I continue to pay the monthly "rental" fees for the boxes.

Be sure to visit the Verizon FiOS forum on dslreports.com.  There are discussion there about how to bridge the G1100.  I don't need to bridge my G1100, so I haven't read the threads with enough detail to know if there are working solutions available or not.  You may be more motivated to read through the discussions.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I beleive Rev I is required for Quantun TV service.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@razeldazel2 wrote:

in short, advanced user or not, if you also get the FIOS TV service, you are locked into this router and you will have to deal with all of it's short comings. there is no good alternative to it and on top they make you pay for it one way or another. 

i also have the old MI424WR here which does bridge mode but only supports 50/50 internet speed according to verizon when in reality it only supports 25/25. 

Don't know why they would tell you that when even the oldest Actiontec routers supported up to 100/100  

If your contract was for higher speed than that then you needed a Gig router which typically meant the Actiontec rev I, now I guess the G1100.

Even my ancient Westell 9100em would run 75/75 with no issues.

0 Likes
razeldazel2

i started of with 25/25 service and the MI424WR Rev I. i came from TWX's 10/2 service, so this was blazing to me. after about 3 month i upgraded the package to 50/50 and added the TV and phone service. everything worked seamingly well but after a few weeks i noticed chock points. after some investigating i found that i get 40-45/25 max through the router. after some more research on the inet i found that i was not the only one with the problem. others had the router shot down or reboot but i haven't seen anyone who got speeds up to 100/100, nor near 75/75. when the G1100 was finally available i wanted to get it primarly with the hopes of better wifi and the possibility of z-wave. when i ordered the router the verizon rep actually told me that i can use the actiontec router with the higher 75/75 service but that my actual speed would be caped to about 40/40 because of hardware limitations and that it was advised to switch to the new G1100. 

i even asked him why verizon would offer service (50/50) if they don't have equipment to support those speeds. he said it was future provisioning for the up and coming equipment (G1100). maybe just a slaes pitch. i should have kept a copy of the conversation.

i wish smallnetbuilder would include oem equipment and i wish speedtest.net would allow you to filter public results by device

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do the following:

1) Run speedtest from a device that is connected via ethernet. WIFI can be unpredicatable.

2) Run your test to speedtest.verizon.net. This runs to a server within the Verizon network (only thing they can ensure to give you performance). If you get what you are contracted for, then your service is operating at what you have contracted for. If not, then call back with these results and support should help you.

0 Likes