G1100 repeater
philipcrumpton
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently signed up for FiOS and have the G1100 Quantum Gateway.  Wireless signal is a little weak in my office but I have a LInksys WRT54GL with DD WRT installed and was going to set it up as a repeater.  Can't get it to work, though, and can't find anyone online that HAS gotten it to work.  Does the G1100 by any chance only support the "official" repeater they're selling or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G1100 repeater
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@philipcrumpton wrote:

I recently signed up for FiOS and have the G1100 Quantum Gateway.  Wireless signal is a little weak in my office but I have a LInksys WRT54GL with DD WRT installed and was going to set it up as a repeater.  Can't get it to work, though, and can't find anyone online that HAS gotten it to work.  Does the G1100 by any chance only support the "official" repeater they're selling or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know the only extender that Verizon supports is the one they sell for $75.  Of course in reality it's not really a reapeater but rather a wired network extender with a wap added to it.  As it's moca based it can be connected to any coax adapter that is on the fios coax network.  Of course you could do the same thing with any old fios router available cheaply on ebay or any other kind of ethernet router with wifi if you have ethernet wiring available.  I believe no fios router will support true repeating.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@philipcrumpton wrote:

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know the only extender that Verizon supports is the one they sell for $75.  Of course in reality it's not really a reapeater but rather a wired network extender with a wap added to it.  As it's moca based it can be connected to any coax adapter that is on the fios coax network.  Of course you could do the same thing with any old fios router available cheaply on ebay or any other kind of ethernet router with wifi if you have ethernet wiring available.  I believe no fios router will support true repeating.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:
I believe nofios router will support true repeating.

I believe the same.  Further, I don't recommend repeaters except for situations where no wire (coax or Ethernet) can be run.  Repeaters half the available WiFi bandwidth.  Most people will notice the speed drop.

If the OP can make a coax or Ethernet port available in the office, they could use a variety of devices to create another WiFI access point (AP) to the network.  The Verizon Extender works great with coax and requires almost no configuration.  For Ethernet, any router including the WRT54GL already owned by the OP, should be configurable as an AP.  There are also dedicated AP devices available.

If coax is available but the OP doesn't want to use a Verizon extender, a MoCA LAN to Ethernet bridge could be installed to allow a standard router or AP to be used.  Look for the ECB2500C device.

Only go with a repeater if there is no acceptable method to get a coax or Ethernet jack in the desired location.

Enjoy.

CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I don't have the G1100, but I was able to set up a 54G (flashed with DD-WRT) as a bridge/repeater with the prior model Actiontec 424.

Off hand I can't think of any settings on the primary router I changed  to work with a repeater.   Take a look at the Wiki for DD-WRT.  You must follow all the steps very precisely to get it to work as a bridge/repeater.

That being said using  a wireless repeater should be your last resort.    When I was experimenting using the 54G the best  download speed I could get was  20 Mbps on my 75/75  connection.  Using  the 2.4 GHz radio with no repeater gets me speeds of 45 Mbps and over 65 Mbps using 5 Ghz. 

I normally use wired connections where ever possible and get 80 Mbps.

philipcrumpton
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you all for the great input!  I'll go with the official device.  I won't be able to run ethernet from my router but I have coax in various places.  That should work great!

0 Likes