Heavy UDP Packet Loss makes gaming near impossible - Tunneling through VPN works fine
ShortFuse

So for the past two weeks, I've been having lots of issues when playing online games that use UDP. It has made it near unplayable. I have done everything including used two different ActionTec router, my Asus router and plugged in my computer directly into the ONT. I've tried on my laptop and my laptop as well is showing the heavy packet loss.

But I've contact Verizon and they just asked to reset the modem and do a speed test. But since speeds tests are TCP based, it doesn't account for packet loss. After struggling for a second or two, the upload hits 150MBps, which is what I'm rated for. I can see the dips on the upload meter which show that packets drop, but everything AVERAGES to 150MBps.

That's great for downloading, but unusable for gaming. Gaming requires a stable connection, not a super fast one. So after checking everything and changing all sorts of things, I finally decided to VPN to my business that is runnning Cablevision/Optimum Online about half a mile from me, NO packet loss.

This leads me to two conclusions, either I'm getting throttled or Verizon has some very bad packet loss.

Regardless, how do I go about fixing this, since customer serviceo only cares about speed tests? I'm seriously considering just cancelling FIOS and moving to Cablevision if this keeps up.

0 Likes
Re: Heavy UDP Packet Loss makes gaming near impossible - Tunneling through VPN works fine
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure, but how about this

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

which test your Internet Download/Upload speed and bufferboat.

0 Likes