Help connecting a TV to router
jrs221
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an internet-capable TV which currently is connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable.  The DVR is connected to the router with a coax cable.  The problem is that the TV is on the first floor and  I want to move the router to the second floor.  I have a very old house with thick walls and floors and the wifi signal range is stronger when the router is upstairs.  I just upgraded from 15 mbs to 50 mbs and I want to improve the wifi sgnal since a wired connection is not feasible for my laptop or ipad.  Any advice on how to do this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help connecting a TV to router
Hubrisnxs
Legend
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Does the TV support wireless? Many do.

You can get a MoCa adapter (and a splitter) that will convert the coax to ethernet for you.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
jrs221
Enthusiast - Level 2

This particular TV doesn't have a wireless connection.  When I purchased it I moved the router from the 2nd floor to the first so I could connect the TV directly via an ethernet cable and my wireless signal suffered, which has been frustrating.  I just upgraded to 50/25 and was considering purchasing the GigaE Router.  The second reference above says that a Verizon Actiontec router can be used as a MOCA bridge.  Does that mean that if I buy my own GigaE Router I can use the Router that came with my original FIOS install as a MOCA bridge to connect the TV?  That would cost less than buying a freestanding MOCA bridge and I would have a GigaE router for wireless.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jrs22 wrote:

Does that mean that if I buy my own GigaE Router I can use the Router that came with my original FIOS install as a MOCA bridge to connect the TV?  

Yes, that's exactly what that means.  You can use any revision of the Actiontec router as a MOCA LAN bridge.

jrs221
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to everybody who posted advice.  I've ordered a GigaE router, which I wanted anyway, and printed out the wiring diagram from one of the links.  Based on that diagram I don't even need to run any cabling - just split the coax that's heading toward the DVR and then connect one branch to the old router and one branch to the DVR.

0 Likes