Help, service issues with FIOS however Verizon will not believe me
Some_dude

For the past few days I have been experiencing extremely slow FIOS service around 0.4 Mbps(this is  15/5 plan). Unfortunately, the verizon tech reps don't know jack about network issues and keep trying to pin the issue on my router or devices connected to my service. I ran multiple MTR reports to an outside destination, in this case Spotify's servers and have been experiencing consistent packet loss. To make sure there was not an issue with Spotify servers I logged into my virtual private server and ran mtr to the same destination and experienced no packet loss.

MTR from home connection to Spotfiy's server

Host                                                                            Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. Wireless_Broadband_Router.home                                                0.0%   560    0.6   0.7   0.4  37.5   1.6
 2. L100.LSANCA-VFTTP-110.verizon-gni.net                                         0.4%   560    5.6   6.4   3.7 125.3   7.5
 3. G0-6-1-1.LSANCA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net                                        4.7%   560   13.0  15.4   9.5  58.3   4.0
 4. ae2-0.LAX01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net                                           0.4%   560   16.0  19.3   6.1 145.9  21.3
 5. 0.ae1.BR1.LAX15.BR1.LAX15.ALTER.NET                                           6.4%   560   11.5  16.1   9.0  79.7   8.7
 6. ae-7.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net                                           5.9%   560   16.2  14.1   9.8  21.9   2.0
 7. ae-5.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net                                           4.1%   560   37.6  18.0   9.3  73.7   9.8
 8. ae-2.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net                                           6.2%   560   91.0  91.3  81.0 200.4   9.6
 9. ae-1.r04.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net                                           6.6%   560   82.2  87.3  79.4 116.4   3.3
    ae-1.r00.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
10. ae-0.carpathia-hosting.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net                             4.5%   560   90.5  88.6  79.3 171.2   6.8
    xe-0-0-0-5.r04.asbnva02.us.ce.gin.ntt.net
11. 173.245.102.193                                                               5.9%   560   86.4  88.2  80.8 128.1   4.6
12. shradhdha.ash.spotify.com                                                     3.6%   559   90.1  87.4  78.3 162.8   5.5

MTR from VPS to the same spotify server with no packet loss at all

root ~]# mtr --report shradhdha.ash.spotify.com
dv-jreynoso.com                   Snt: 10    Loss%  Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
vzx264.mediatemple.net                        0.0%   0.1   0.1   0.0   0.1   0.0
e1.2.cr01.iad01.mtsvc.net                     0.0%   0.3   0.3   0.3   0.4   0.0
65.97.50.1                                    0.0%   0.7   2.2   0.4   9.0   3.0
cr02-1-3.iad1.net2ez.com                      0.0%   9.3   3.6   0.4  10.9   4.2
br02-1-1.iad2.net2ez.com                      0.0%   0.5   0.5   0.4   0.9   0.1
tge2-2.fr4.iad.llnw.net                       0.0%   0.5   3.9   0.5  11.7   4.5
ve5.fr3.iad.llnw.net                          0.0%   0.6   4.7   0.5  15.5   5.6
66.117.63.53                                  0.0%   1.4   0.7   0.6   1.4   0.2
173.245.102.193                               0.0%  10.8   1.6   0.6  10.8   3.2
66.117.63.42                                  0.0%   0.8   0.8   0.6   1.9   0.4
shradhdha.ash.spotify.com                     0.0%   0.6   0.6   0.5   0.

Now unfortunately I cannot get anyone at verizon to look at this or believe that there is an issue with their service. I also want to mention that the destination is irrelevant as you can see by the Host that the packet loss is occuring on verizon's routers.

Anyone know how I can get verizon to actually look into this and not just dismiss what I am saying outright?

--edit: I apologize for the formatting issues but this was copied directly from my terminal.

0 Likes
Re: Help, service issues with FIOS however Verizon will not believe me
Nu2FiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

It’s difficult to get pass the first tier of tech support to have the issue really looked into. I’ve found it to be the case with every single cable/internet provider I have had. Many of the first tier techs don’t know much and they always try to blame it on something on your end.

What I do these days is to call my city’s regulator after giving the company a fair chance to address the issue. At least in my city (DC), it’s the fastest and sure way to get the problem fixed. A few years ago when I first signed up with RCN, my internet service would be out for the whole night every night, like clockwork. Numerous calls to RCN got me nowhere and they kept blaming “my equipment’. This went on for a couple of months. I then called the city and within 2 days after the call, RCN responded and fixed the problem permanently, on their end, w/o even having a tech to come in. I have had problems with Comcast and Verizon DSL before (different issues) and the only way to resolve them, and quickly, is to have the regulator involved.

Trust me. Save yourself some frustrations and call your city's or state's regulator. Hopefully, the regulator in your city/state is as proactive as mine in DC.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Try the Twitter Support For Verizon.  Those guys seem very very good.

www.twitter.com/verizonsupport

0 Likes
Some_dude

Thank you both for your recommendations.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Looks to me like your problem is with NTT.NET, not Verizon.

0 Likes
Some_dude

-

0 Likes
Some_dude

This has been going on for about two weeks. Each time I would call Verizon I would comment that there was an issue with their network/routers as I noticed consistent packet loss on their network. They insisted that there were no reported outages.

I called Friday to cancel the service after the "tech" support rep said everything should be working and the problem was our fault. Speaking to retention rep he said he would send a repair guy out there to take a look etc and also gave me a discount. I said OK yeah sure whatever let's see what he can do. The repairman shows up today, replaces the modem and the box out back. Of course this does nothing to fix the download speed as it still tops out at 3 Mbps if you are even lucky. The repairan then calls his supervisor over the phone for assistance. After a while the supervisor checks his reports and realizes that the router for my area has been down causing slow speeds. No {word filter avoidance}, really?! So after all the time wasted on the phone with ignorant Verizon reps it actually turns out to be an issue with their {word filter avoidance} network router, which I insisted was the problem to begin with.

What gets me is that no one at the Verizon call center knew about this. All the money they wasted to replace three modems, the box out back, and two visits from a Verizon repairman could have been saved if the call center reps knew about the router outage. It's like the left foot doesn't what the right foot is doing in Verizon land. Now that is some {word filter avoidance} management and infrastructure. But hey what do you expect from a company that has a Java/ASP monstrosity of a website for their customers.

I think this really conveys my sentiments on this entire ordeal....

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

0 Likes