Help with Windows 7/ MI424WR Router
Daschund
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to build a new home computer. I frequently game so I built the system with Windows 7 64bit in order to take advantage of the higher capabilities. However now that the build is done I plug the ethernet connector from the router to the mother board and it doesn't even register that anything is plugged in. However everything else I've plugged in works. Mouse, printer, keyboard, speakers etc. I know from general internet chatter that there has been some difficulty with Windows 7 and routers. Anyone know how to fix this?

Internet and TV through the router are working through out the rest of the house. Including on the laptop I'm using to post. So the problem lies somewhere between the router and the computer.

Re: Help with Windows 7/ MI424WR Router
Justin46
Legend

My bet is that you have not installed the drivers for the network adapter in your new computer. Go into the Windows 7 Device Manager and take a look at the Network Adapters section to see if all are marked as working. If not you need to install drivers for the adapter.

Now if the adapter is working according to Windows 7, is your other computer plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the router? If not, do so and see if that works (be sure to disable the wireless adapter so there is no confusion about which adapter is being used).

There are people who have reported that the wired section of the router dies while the wireless part continues to work. I have had my Actiontec for 3-4 years now, both wired and wireless work just fine, I think that kind of failure is rare but apparently does occasionally happen. But I think you to try to verify that the wired part of the router is dead before trying to get a replacement.

If you can determine that the wired part of the router is dead, call Verizon (or use the online chat) and request a replacement.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Help with Windows 7/ MI424WR Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Justin's post didn't solve your issue, what I would also do is check the basics. Make sure the Ethernet NIC is lighting up and indicating a physical connection. I'd also make sure you did not disable Onboard LAN/Integrated Ethernet NIC in the BIOS since that can be bumped at times if you're messing around in there. Lastly, there have been reports on certain motherboards that Integrated Realtek Gigabit NICs tend to become unrecognizable by the system. A simple fix to that is to typically remove all power to the motherboard by unplugging the PC and removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. From there, insert the battery and then plug the PC back in. You'll need to reconfigure your BIOS settings, but that should help bring the NIC back to life if you're coming across that firmware bug.

0 Likes