Help with ipad update download
pinky2562

I just got an ipad nad need to update the os. When I attempt the download I am told it will be 14 hours for a 550mb download. My speed check is coming out as 0.3mbps. I have the 15/5/ plan supposedly. The upload time is coming out 5mbps. Verizon tech not sure what to do . is sending me anther router.... tried rebooting router.Speed optimizer. ughhh help!

0 Likes
Re: Help with ipad update download
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

How are you connecting the iPad?    To iTunes through a wired connection to a computer?

edit:  When you run the speed test, is the computer you're running the test on connected via wifi or by Ethernet?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Apple - Slow Downloads

This guy had a similiar problem I think and he resolved it by downloading the broadband tuner for MAC's from APPLE.

he states....
Just wanted to follow up this thread by saying that I think I finally got this fixed. I noticed my downstairs (media library) MacBook was downloading much faster than the new iMac upstairs -- both are wired because of Actiontecs being used as bridges. I remembered that once upon a time I had installed a broadband tuner from Apple on the MacBook. I just installed that on my iMac upstairs and poof, fast downloads. Here is the link:

»support.apple.com/downloads/Broa···uner_1_0

Another user had to change their DNS to fix it, but I would think that it would be a less likely fix.

pinky2562

i have my ipad hooked via usb to my desktop which is wired to the router. I have a pc not  a mac

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok...I'm a PC guy too, and I have an iPad that I updated to iOS 4 recently.  The download took about 90 seconds (I have a 35 mb/s down plan).

It sounds like your issue really has nothing to do with the iPad.  You're just getting a painfully slow download speed.  It may indeed be that your router is broken and needs to be replaced but until you get a new one:

Do you have another computer you can connect to your router and see if you get the same slow speed?  That would eliminate your PC being the culprit.

Try connecting to a different port on the router.

Try a different cable between your PC and the router.  Could be a bad cable...or connector.

Try rebooting your ONT.  Unplug it from the battery backup unit for 30 seconds or so and then reconnect it.

If none of that helps, you might try leaving your router powered off overnight.  You'd likely have a new WAN IP when you boot it back up in the morning and that might help.

And if none of that helps....you may have to wait for that new router to arrive and when it doesn't help (I'm guessing it won't) you'll have to call tech support back.   They could have to roll a truck to see if the problem isn't somewhere outside your house in their network.

Good luck.

0 Likes
pinky2562

ok .. I changed the cable.. nothing

I unpluged the battery pack.. nothing..

I tried a new port.. slightly better (went from 12 hour download to 9)

I am not sure how to connect to my laptop.. can I just put the ethernet plug to the laptop or do I need software for it?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should be able to just connect an Ethernet cable in between a port on the router and the laptop.  Boot the laptop up.  Turn wifi off the laptop off to be sure you're connected via Ethernet.  Run a speedtest.at www.speedtest.net and http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

How does the laptop do?  The same or better as the original PC?

0 Likes