How I was able to get a Wireless-N FIOS Router
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Short story:

1. Order upgrade from current 5/25 to 35/35 Internet speeds

2. Request Wireless N Router to replace existing Wireless G router

3. Schedule date for installer to come & install N router (for me this is 29 Nov 2011.)

Long story:

I decided to switch my cellphone service from Sprint to Verizon, partially becuase there is a $10/mo discount for bundling cell service with my current FIOS Triple-Play service.  During this discussion the VZ rep suggested I could update my FIOS Internet from 5/25 to 35/35, get a bunch of additional HDTV channels, and switch my landline to what amounts to VOIP (VZ calles it Digital Voice) at a net increase in cost of about $13.50/mo.  (It is actually $20/mo more but switching to VOIP eliminates $6.50 in Federal tax.) This would get further reduced by $10.00/mo when I added the cellphone service.

In addition, if I signed up for a 2-year contract VZ would send me a $300 prepaid ZVisa card nexts Feb. This sounded like a reasonably good deal to me so after a few discussions I decided to do it.  

While talking to the VZ rep I asked about the Wireless N router. He said my current G router woudl work with the new service. I said I knew this but wanted the N model instead. He said I could get this from a local VZ Fios store. So I said OK, I'll call the store and find out if they have them in stock.  The rep was disappointed I didn't place the order then, but I wanted to be sure I could actually get the N router.

I used Google to find a VZ store near me. I called the number; it never answered. So I tried another store a bit farther away. The person there said he had to look up my account to check what equipment I had.  So I gave him all my info.  After a while he said he was unable to look up my account and that I should call yet another store.

I called that one and the person there said routers can only be ordered directly from Verizon, and that I shoudl call VZ Customer Service.

I called FIOS Customer Service instead (800-837-4966) and talked to a rep who took me through the whole FIOS upgrade process described above. I asked abotu the N router and he said he'd have to check on how those are obtained.  I explained to him the story abotu beiung unable to get one at a store, so he put me on hold and finally came back saying a tech would come to my home and install it.

So he scheduled the 35/35 upgrade, additional HD channels,  and the phone switch for the early morning of the 29th, and the tech to come and install the new router between 7:30 and 10:30.  Here's hoping it all goes ok.

0 Likes
Re: How I was able to get a Wireless-N FIOS Router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If you're lucky, you'll get the rev. F which is draft 802.11n (single stream).

The rev. G which is full 802.11n is only given to customers ordering the 150/35 tier.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bet you get whatever the installer has handy.  Wireless-G will handle 35/35 with no issues.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the heads up. When the tech arrives I'll make sure the router is in fact N capable.  I will not accept a replacement G router. I am  hoping I made myself perfectly clear to the rep who created my order. I guess I'll find out next week.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Good luck. I read here where a 150/35 customer got the upgrade and was never upgraded to the new router. Not even sure if they have the right ONT for GPON to support 150/35.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Hmmmmm.....what is GPON?  And are you saying there is a different ONT required for higher speeds?  My understanding was that there was only one kind of ONT out there (in my closet) and it could handle anything VZ could throw down the line.

Note that I am going to 35/35, not 150/35.  Is it reasonable for a home user to go to that high a speed? I guess maybe if you were downhloading movies all day long, but I don't do that.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@bbinnard wrote:

what is GPON?  

What is BPON or GPON

@bbinnard wrote:
y understanding was that there was only one kind of ONT out there (in my closet) and it could handle anything VZ could throw down the line.

There are many different models of ONT:

What are the different models of ONTs

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

This should get you started. I can point you to many places, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

Pasive Optical Network. Most  customers really don't need to know all the nuts and bolts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPON

GOOD LINK Anti-Phish. I never viewed this list. Cool.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16637

Optical Network Terminal (ONT) is a type of NID used with fiber-to-the-premises applications.

Various models used.I had one of the first ONT 610X, I now have 612. I also believe they use Motorola ONTs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Network_Terminal#Optical_network_terminals

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Wow!  Thanks guys - nothing like trying to drink from a firehose.  I guess all this FIOS stuff is just like everything else - lots more to it than meets the eye.

0 Likes