How can I get Verizon to LEAVE ME ALONE!
StevieP65

I set my FiOS router to use WEP.

I get that WPA2 is more secure.  I do not care.  Seriously.  Couldn't care less.

I have my reasons, and that should be enough.

And yet, I continue to receive emails and now voicemails from Verizon (big brother) to let me know that I'm not secure enough for their tastes, and that I should re-configure my Actiontec router to use WPA2.

I will not comply.  Ever.  The more they push, the more I'm inclined to set it to OPEN, just out of spite.  But that would probably encourage a further round of harrassment from 'the system' to let me know that it's not secure enough.

I did the on-line tech support chat thing with two different people (in India?), who then transferred me to some poor girl in billing, since apparently billing is responsible for ALL customer communications.  After wasting even more time with her, the only offered suggestion is to turn off ALL notifications.  Promotional notifications.  Sign... 

Is there *anyone* there at Verizon who is empowered to turn off the big brother calls and emails?  I wish to NEVER hear anything else from Verizon that my WIFI security isn't stringent enough.  Never.

I live in the country.  There is nobody sitting outside my house trying to crack the WEP key.  Why, I haven't seen an NSA surveillance van for at least a month.

Can anyone help, or am I doomed to monthly communications from Verizon about this?

0 Likes
Re: How can I get Verizon to LEAVE ME ALONE!
StevieP65

Oh.  My.  GOD!

Now I just got an actual letter in the mail, to let me know that WEP isn't secure enough, and that I should change to WPA2.

How do I stop this harrassment?

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Create an email rule that sends anything with "WEP" to your deleted items folder.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@StevieP65 wrote:

Can anyone help, or am I doomed to monthly communications from Verizon about this?

I seem to be doomed to frequent mailings from Verizon telling me about bargain prices, none of which I'm eligible for.  I wish Verizon would stop wasting money on sending ads through the mail to people who those ads don't apply to.

But the way I look at things is if getting a wasted mailing from Verizon is the worst problem I have today....it's been a good day!

I suggest you adopt the same outlook.  Just shrug the messages off and forget about them.

StevieP65

Of course ignoring the messages is the easiest way.

My point is that I would like to acknowledge and accept the risk of running with only WEP encryption on my FiOS router, and just move on.

There doesn't seem to be any function within the Verizon "system" to accept that answer.  In all the communications I've received from Verizon, all they do is issue dire warnings of what may become should I choose to leave it at WEP, with instructions on how to change to WPA2, with no apparent ability for it (the system) to accept my answer (and move on).

0 Likes