How can I have "active" status on a PnP network?
whh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use DC++ to connect to a peer-to-peer network.  Using the FIOS router, I have been relegated to "passive" status on the network, which limits the number of contacts I can make.  Is there a way to configure the router for active status?  TIA whh

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I have "active" status on a PnP network?
whh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your insight... and yes, I meant to type P2P, not PnP <g>.

Since posing the question, I also found a useful site on port forwarding, which is geared toward the model of router and the software used: http://www.portforward.com  This may be helpful for users with similar problems.

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

@whh wrote:

I use DC++ to connect to a peer-to-peer network.  Using the FIOS router, I have been relegated to "passive" status on the network, which limits the number of contacts I can make.  Is there a way to configure the router for active status?  TIA whh

The number of contacts is limited by the number of connections that you can have through the Network Address Translation Table. NAT for short. I am assuming you mean peer to peer and not Plug N Play PnP. There have been many router complaints regarding the NAT table being to small. Use the search feature at the top of the forums page and search for NAT. Other option is use your own router that is not supported by Verizon. Your ONT would need to be setup for Ethernet and if you have TV the Actiontec would need to be connected to your router. Remember custom router configurations are not supported by Verizon residential FIOS. There have been loads of postings about how to use your own router.

whh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your insight... and yes, I meant to type P2P, not PnP <g>.

Since posing the question, I also found a useful site on port forwarding, which is geared toward the model of router and the software used: http://www.portforward.com  This may be helpful for users with similar problems.