How do I access my old router after getting fios?
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have my original lynksys router (6500 dual band n/ac) connected to a port on the fios supplied router. My devices are connecting to the linksys because i never changed my network wap or ssid or anything - as requested at install - and everything connected as if nothing changed.

However, when i go to 192.168.1.1 it takes me to the verizon router (with the default router login). Since the linksys wireless router my devices are connecting to is cabled to a port on the linksys router, does it now have a new home ip address?

I get ~75Mbps setup like this so is there any reason to swith to the provided verizon router and reset all the wap/ssid stuff in all my devices?
0 Likes
Re: How do I access my old router after getting fios?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 How is this Linksys router connected to Verizon's router:

a) WAN/Internet/To Modem port of the Linksys connected to one of the LAN ports of Verizon's router

OR

b) One of the Linksys's LAN ports is connected to one of the LAN ports of Verizon's router.

???

#2 While I know you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

#3 What is your OS and Version?

For example Windows 7.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@meegwell wrote:
I have my original lynksys router (6500 dual band n/ac) connected to a port on the fios supplied router. My devices are connecting to the linksys because i never changed my network wap or ssid or anything - as requested at install - and everything connected as if nothing changed.

However, when i go to 192.168.1.1 it takes me to the verizon router (with the default router login). Since the linksys wireless router my devices are connecting to is cabled to a port on the linksys router, does it now have a new home ip address?

I get ~75Mbps setup like this so is there any reason to swith to the provided verizon router and reset all the wap/ssid stuff in all my devices?

What you should have done is is to have given the linksys a static address on the 192.168.1 sub net and turned off the dhcp server in it and then connected it to the Verizon router lan port to lan port.

However if all you wanted to do was to maintain the old settings in all your connected devices prior to connecting the linksys  you could just change the base address of the it's dhcp server to a subnet other than 192.168.1 and then just connect it the the Verizon router lan port to wan port.

You would then be able to get to the linksys router using the new subnet address you gave it e.g. 192.168.2.1

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The simplest thing to do is:

1. Disconnect  the Ethernet cable connecting the old and the new router.

2. Power cycle the new router

3. Connect to the NEW router using either an Ethernet cable connected to a LAN port or using WiFi.

4.  Then using a browser go to 192.168.1.1   and assign your new router a static LAN IP.   If it isn't being used assign

192.168.1.2.  Any address between 192.168.1.2  - 192.168.1.254  will work, but it is desirable to keep the static IP

of any device outside  the range that the DHCP server on the Primary  Router.

5. Even though your present setup is working I would recommend that you disable the DHCP server on your new and second router.  Sooner or latter having two devices assigning DHCP is going to cause problems.

0 Likes
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im not sure but you may be thinking I got  NEW router after getting Fios.  the Fios MI424WR IS the new router.  

So, I have the OLD cisco/Linksys router connected from the WAN "Internet" port to a LAN port (#4) on the MI424WR.  

All devices are attached wirelessly through the the cisco/linksys, and 192.168.1.1 brings me to the control panel to the MI424WR...which nothing is attched to wirelessly.

In the control panle, I see my 3 TV boxes (answering a previous question), and a "PC" "Ethernet" device with my wirelss network ID I am assuming is my wirless OLD cisco/linksys router.  It is assigned an IP of 192.168.1.3

I am not sure how I can disable DHCP on the cisco OLD router if I cant access its control panel?

Thats all I really want to do, is be able to manage the wireless network without having to use the NEW Fios MI424WR router as the wireless router.

hope this clarified things...and also I just posted a new post only after realizing I actually asked this question I will direct that new post to here.  

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@meegwell wrote:

So, I have the OLD cisco/Linksys router connected from the WAN "Internet" port to a LAN port (#4) on the MI424WR.  

By connecting Actiontec LAN to Linksys WAN, you have created a second subnet.  You didnlt indicate what the IP range was on the Linksys, but in order for this configuration to work, the Linksys subnet must be different from the Actiontec's subnet (192.168.1.x). 

In order to access the Linksys admin pages, you must be connected to the Linksys LAN.

meegwell wrote: 

I am not sure how I can disable DHCP on the cisco OLD router if I cant access its control panel?

As long as the two routers are connected LAN-to-WAN, you don't want to disable DHCP on the Linksys.  If you do so, devices connected to the Linksys won;t be able to get a DHCP address.

If you want a single logical network, a better solution is to connect the two routers LAN-to-LAN, 

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@meegwell wrote:

Thats all I really want to do, is be able to manage the wireless network without having to use the NEW Fios MI424WR router as the wireless router.

hope this clarified things...and also I just posted a new post only after realizing I actually asked this question I will direct that new post to here.  

Thanks.

disconnect the old linksys wan port from the verizon lan port.

connect a machine via ethernet to a lan port on the linksys router

see what Ip address you get on the machine

start a browser and enter that address changing the last octet to 1

hit enter and then enter the userid and password for the linksys

You're now on the linksys admin page and can change whatever you want to

0 Likes