Customers With Disabilities
Copper Contributor
pjkiernan
0 Kudos

How do I connect 2 wireless routers together

I have 2 actiontec wireless routers that i want to connect together to extend the range of my wireless signal, 1 upstairs (router 2), 1 in basement...

I want to do this through a wired connection...

Currently the basement router(router 1) has the coax connected to it and is currently the main one...

Going to connect from router 1 to router 2 through a wired connection...

Going from LAN port of router 1 to the WAN port of router 2, however I want the 2 devices to work as one...I do not want seperate connections...

How do I go about bridgeing them or what do my settings need to be in order to accomplish this?

Thanks

MVP
dslr595148
0 Kudos

Re: How do I connect 2 wireless routers together

#1 Beware with most routers. If one computer gets infected, all of the other computers with-in the same LAN will also get infected.

So, an user might add a second router for this security reason.

This is as addressed at grc.com's pure CSS menu, go to Research -> Recent -> NAT Router Security

#2 If you really want the devices to work as one, fine.

You could set a second router up as a Switch/Hub/WAP.

This is as directed at

a) portforward.com -> forum -› Knowledge Base -› Using a Second router as a Switch/Hub/WAP

b) http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/30740-how-to-use-a-router-to-add-network-ports.

c) I am sure, at other sites too.

^^

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor
Ealdayen
0 Kudos

Turn dhcp off on the upstairs router.  Connect that router's LAN port to the basement router's LAN port.  Now the upstairs router will emulate an access point.

Copper Contributor
pjkiernan
0 Kudos

Thanks I will try this tonight..

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV