How do I connect 2 wireless routers together
pjkiernan

I have 2 actiontec wireless routers that i want to connect together to extend the range of my wireless signal, 1 upstairs (router 2), 1 in basement...

I want to do this through a wired connection...

Currently the basement router(router 1) has the coax connected to it and is currently the main one...

Going to connect from router 1 to router 2 through a wired connection...

Going from LAN port of router 1 to the WAN port of router 2, however I want the 2 devices to work as one...I do not want seperate connections...

How do I go about bridgeing them or what do my settings need to be in order to accomplish this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: How do I connect 2 wireless routers together
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Beware with most routers. If one computer gets infected, all of the other computers with-in the same LAN will also get infected.

So, an user might add a second router for this security reason.

This is as addressed at grc.com's pure CSS menu, go to Research -> Recent -> NAT Router Security

#2 If you really want the devices to work as one, fine.

You could set a second router up as a Switch/Hub/WAP.

This is as directed at

a) portforward.com -> forum -› Knowledge Base -› Using a Second router as a Switch/Hub/WAP

b) http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/30740-how-to-use-a-router-to-add-network-ports.

c) I am sure, at other sites too.

^^

0 Likes
Ealdayen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turn dhcp off on the upstairs router.  Connect that router's LAN port to the basement router's LAN port.  Now the upstairs router will emulate an access point.

0 Likes
pjkiernan

Thanks I will try this tonight..

0 Likes