How do I set-up Linksys E3000 with Actiontec MI424WR
lcarrero
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I recently purchased a Linksys E3000 so that I could use it as my primary router instead of the Actiontec MI424WR. I want to use the Wireless N functionality of the new router since the MI424WR does not support that.

I've researched many forums and have attempted many changes. But, it seems that the instructions available online are geared towards a different FiOS connection than what I have. There were details about setting up the MI424WR as a bridge, ect, but I could not get any to work.

My Actiontec MI424WR is connected via a coaxial cable, I know there are others connected via a CAT5 cable. I've also read about VOD or CableTV service being disrupted by changing the settings on the Actiontec MI424WR, but I don't think that is the case with my service. This has been part of my confusion with everything I've read.

Could someone please explain to me, in simple terms, how I can get my Linksys E3000 set-up to work as my primary wireless router?

Thank you in advance,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I set-up Linksys E3000 with Actiontec MI424WR
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

What revision of the Actiontec do you have?

Do you have FIOS-TV?  Your post is not clear about that.

Is it practical for you to run cat5 to the ONT?

• If you want to keep the coax WAN connection, then you must bridge the Actiontec in order for your router to be primary.
  • If you can switch to a cat5 WAN connection, then you can connect your router as primary with the Actiontec behind it as a MOCA LAN bridge. You will not lose VOD, guide data or widgets.  Remote DVR and on-screen caller-id will not function properly if your router is primary.

See this FAQ for different ways you  can connect your router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

What revision of the Actiontec do you have?

Do you have FIOS-TV?  Your post is not clear about that.

Is it practical for you to run cat5 to the ONT?

• If you want to keep the coax WAN connection, then you must bridge the Actiontec in order for your router to be primary.
  • If you can switch to a cat5 WAN connection, then you can connect your router as primary with the Actiontec behind it as a MOCA LAN bridge. You will not lose VOD, guide data or widgets.  Remote DVR and on-screen caller-id will not function properly if your router is primary.

See this FAQ for different ways you  can connect your router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

lcarrero
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the information you provided. It worked perfectly and I have been able to set-up my second router. Thanks again 🙂

jm10001

When you say "it worked perfectly", could you please elaborate as to which installation option you went with?  Thx

0 Likes
maliboo741
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great link, thank you

0 Likes