How does one set up Verizon FIOS for IPV6
ed_n
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon claims to be participating in IPV6 trials on June 8th. How does one set up IPV6 for home machines behind FIOS service for IPV6?

Re: How does one set up Verizon FIOS for IPV6
ed_n
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI - I was able to use GogoNet's IPV6 tunnelling client over FIOS but cannot directly through the wireless router provided with FIOS. Raises concerns over bypassing firewall rules.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can't vouch for FiOS users at the moment if they're getting native IPv6 connectivity or if anything special is needed to be done, but as of right now the only thing working for me on my DSL line is a 6to4 tunnel. Obviously it's not native connectivity so I have no clue if this is a full dual-stack v6 implementation or not.

0 Likes
fi0swhatever

You'll have to pay for a new router when VZ gets around to turning on IPv6--their "cutting edge" network--because the {word filter avoidance} router does not support IPv6.  Maybe they'll roll it into fees for "special" services or disguise it as a tax.  Yay!  If there is an engineer in the VZ executive suite they got voted down by the MBAs and the JDs.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Verizon posted (last year? or 2009?) that the IPv6 was only being tested in select markets and only by a few beta testers. They said that they were only testing and that they have no plans to roll out IPv6 to the general public in the near future. However when it does become available and they do roll it out to the general public, you will not have to buy a new router. Anytime Verizon has rolled out a new feature (one that they support), they have always updated or replaced the routers free of charge. Verizon has never charged the customers for that. Its one of the few things that they have always done right. When the router is required for one of their services, they update it at their cost. But IPv6 is not something that will be hitting the masses any time soon. They have to first upgrade their entire network, CO's, VHO's, VSO's, routers, and all their current software and features to be compatible. And it is all still in the testing stages now.