How to Convert MI424WR to Bridge Only
MJB872

I have an ActionTec MI424WR router with FIOS.  Behind it is an elaborate network around a dual-band Cisco router and several dual-band ethernet-connected access points.  There are a number of cameras attached to the Cisco network and I need to enable port forwarding to access these cameras externally.  I have not been able to do this with the MI424WR router function "in the loop."

(Please do not tell me to use the MI424WR as my router and use it for port fowarding. I have done that previously and for various reasons that is not a workable solution going forward.  First, I cannot connect the cameras to the MI424WR given their locations.  Second, I want my APs to run dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz) which is not possible possible if I connect the APs to the MI424WR.  Third, the port-forwarding and static-port assignment features of the MI424WR are, at best, very primitive.)

I want to disable DHCP in the MI424WR router and have it pass all traffic through to the Cisco router.  In effect, I want to convert the MI424WR to a "modem" using it as a bridge only. I do not want to disrupt our TV service while doing this.

How do I do this?  I tried the advice here (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge) and I did not have the ability to check the STP box where indicated -- no box appeared. I had to completely reset the MI424WR as a result.

Many thanks for your assistance.

0 Likes
Re: How to Convert MI424WR to Bridge Only
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Some questions:

• Do you have FIOS-TV?
  • Is there some reason you can't run an ethernet cable from the ONT to your Cisco router?

In your situation, you're better off to switch to an ethernet connection from the ONT and use your router as primary.

If you have FIOS-TV, you can run the Actiontec as secondary behind your router.

See option #6 here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MJB87 wrote:

I want to disable DHCP in the MI424WR router and have it pass all traffic through to the Cisco router.  In effect, I want to convert the MI424WR to a "modem" using it as a bridge only. I do not want to disrupt our TV service while doing this.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Not sure you will be able to do that as the TV service you refer to is MOCA connected to the router and I'm dubious that the dhcp request from the STB's is going to reach your routers and network.

Why don't you just connect your internal home network as a different subnet to the Actiontec? - Actiontec LAN port to your router WAN port (having defined your router with a static address on the 12.168.1 subnet)- and just forward all ports and protocols to your router, at the same time disabling the wireless access on the Actiontec - actually you would haver to forward everything EXCEPT the pf's to the STB's - 2 blocks you find in the exiting pf rules in the router.

0 Likes
MJB872
Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I achieved almost the desired outcome by setting up a DMZ host on the ActionTec router for my Cisco router. I can now access the ports on that Cisco router directly from the internet, which was my ultimate objective. The ActionTec router is still in the loop but I no longer have to use its horrific port forwarding features.
0 Likes