How to get my DNS changed of get them to fix my local server.
akroto

From my understanding after searching the forums. Verizon FIOS only uses dynamic DNS so I cant force my communications to a specific server. I have only been a customer for a month and this is my 4th problem on setting up and receiving reliable service. I though Comcast was bad, guess they are all the same.

Anyways speeds were fine and then all the sudden my browsing just hung all the time. "resolving host" in chrome. So after doing so research believed it was my DNS overloaded to the point it took forever to get where I need to go on the net. I changed my DNS settings via windows in network properties both IPv6 and IPv4 to Google's DNS servers and received no issue. So my grip is I pay 60$ a month for Internet service and their own infrastructure doesn't work.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, maybe verizon has no control over whatever DNS server I am automatically connecting too, I am ignorant to that level of networking however there has to be some fix other then forcing to a third party.

Please advise if there is any work around or if I am incorrect on my DNS understandings. 

Hopefully someone can help as, tech support doesn't seem to know what a DNS even is and I get 
"everything looks fine from my end".

0 Likes
Re: How to get my DNS changed of get them to fix my local server.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can change the dns server on the router to anything you want them to be.

Logon to the router

select my router

select networ connections

select network (home/office)

select settings

select use the following dns server addresses

enter the desired ip addresses

select apply

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would also suggest using DNS Benchmark to identify the best performing DNS servers at your location:

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Implement any DNS changes through your router not on the computer.

0 Likes
akroto

So how does the routing work. Is my default DNS just whats closest to me or is it by default verizon DNS server loacted who knows where?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Your default DNS server will be a Verizon server.  You'll be able to tell if the one you're getting is the best available by using DNS Benchmark mentioned earlier in this thread.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@akroto wrote:

So how does the routing work. Is my default DNS just whats closest to me or is it by default verizon DNS server loacted who knows where?

Your default dns server will be the default servers for the dhcp subnet ip address allocated to you by the dhcp server that answered the dhcp request from your router at startup.  That could be anywhere but typically would be fairly close.

0 Likes