How to reset "public" network to "secured"
Jayhawk66
Enthusiast - Level 2

A Verizon repairman recently replaced my old router and some other equipment (fried by a power surge) with a G-1100 (Fios Quantum) router.  I see my network shows up as a "public" network even though it is secured (WPA2). 

How can I change the security type? this used to be simple to do (usually you'd be asked during network setup).  I tried manually setting up a new network connection, selection "secured," entering the password, etc., but that didn't change anything. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to reset "public" network to "secured"
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Shows up where as a public network?  In Windows Network and Sharing?  Somewhere else?

For Windows open Windows Network and sharing, click on your active network and select home network.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Shows up where as a public network?  In Windows Network and Sharing?  Somewhere else?

For Windows open Windows Network and sharing, click on your active network and select home network.

Jayhawk66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your input.  That didn't exactly work - clicking on my home network produced no response of any kind. 

But because of that I did run the "home network troubleshooter" - which told me I wasn't connected to my home network (I was), but in pursuing "other solutions" if offered the option to change my network from "public" to "private," so mission accomplished, eventually.  

Can;t figure why Windows didn't ask me the public/private question (or notice that my prior "home" network did not exist anymore) but that's irrelevant now.  Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jayhawk66 wrote:

Can;t figure why Windows didn't ask me the public/private question (or notice that my prior "home" network did not exist anymore) but that's irrelevant now.  Thanks.

Is it Windows 10 by chance?

Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 would ask if it was a private network when connecting to the network for the first time - afterwards that setting had to be changed in the Windows Firewall.

Previous versions of Windows (Vista and Windows 7) would sometimes fail to detect the network, and would immediately set them to be a Public network. That could have also been why that occurred.

Or, someone could have "X"'d out the window containing the prompt. That happens too.

0 Likes