HowTo: Westell 9100em Port Forwarding to a linux box
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I struggled with this router but finally got it going.  Here's my setup: I have a linux box that I want to ssh into from work.  I do not have assigned static IPs from Verizon - I just update domain name via a service like dyndns.org.  Internally (on my LAN), the linux box has been assigned a static IP address.  These instructions are for port forwarding to an internal static IP (but it does seem that the router has the capability to port forward to a DHCP computer so long as it is specified not by IP but by the name the router uses for it).

Step 1:  Turn off UPnP.

• From the main menu, click the "Advanced" icon from the top tool bar.
  • Click on the UPnP.
  • Unselect  Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features and Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services

Step 2: Ensure your DHCP range leaves room for your static IP computers

The Verizon STB (Set Top Box) DVR/cable boxes are given the IP range 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150.  You should not choose a static IP in this range since it interferes with this predefined DHCP range and your IP will not be considered static.  Plus, your box may collide with a Verizon STB you have in your house.   In my case, I set the DHCP range from 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254.  This leaves 192.168.1.2-192.168.99 as acceptable static IP addresses (with 192.168.1.1 as the router IP).  Note: you can skip this step if you are forwarding to a DHCP computer.

• Click on the IP Address Distribution link
  • Click on the pencil to the right of Network (Home/Office)
  • Select an appropriate DHCP range

Step 3:  Change your connection type to static

Note: you can skip this step if you are forwarding to a DHCP computer

From the main menu, click the "Advanced" icon from the top tool bar.

• Click on the IP Address Distribution link
  • Click on Connection List at the bottom
  • If you see the computer you wish to forward to and it is not a static lease type, click on the pencil and change the lease type to static.  Note: if you do not see your computer, you may need to ping the router from the missing computer and then click the refresh button at the bottom of the page.

Step 4: Open up your firewall

• From the main menu, click the "Firewall Settings" icon from the top tool bar.
  • Click on Port Forwarding
  • Click on "New Entry" or the "+" button
  • Leave the Specify Public IP Address and Specify Network IP Address boxes unchecked.
  • In the box to the right of Local Host:, type the IP address of the computer you wish to forward to.  Note: this can also be the router name of a DHCP computer if you are not forwarding to a static IP.
  • Select your protocols. 

That should do it.  Please post if I've missed anything.
Message Edited by NielsBohr on 08-20-2009 10:41 AM
Message Edited by NielsBohr on 08-20-2009 10:43 AM
Re: HowTo: Westell 9100em Port Forwarding to a linux box
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While I do not have FIOS...

Step number 1: Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers on your computer.

Step 2: If any of the IP Address(es) on your computer are the same as the IP Address that users from the net will use to connect to you ( such as http://www.whatsmyip.org/ ), you are NOT NATTED. Start the server for what ever you are forwarding for, and check the ports from the outside.

Step number 3: If the IP Address are not the same: With your web browser, go to the default gateway.

Step number 4: Log with your user name and password. When you log-in with your password, ignore that while you press one key at a time on your keyboard you see three characters show up.

Step number 5: At the main menu, check to see if one of the IP Address(es) there is the same as the IP address on website that displays the IP Address that users from the net will use to connect to you.
--

Step 6: Turn off UPnP in the router.

Step 7: Check and change the DHCP range as need be.

Step 8: Set a static IP on your computer OR for your computer.

Step 9: Forward to the IP Address that you set on your computer OR for your computer.

--

Step 10: Start the server for what ever you are forwarding.

Step 11: Make sure that users from behind the same router can connect to you.

I know that at ( portforward.com -> forum -> Knowledge Base -› How to TEST a web server or FTP server ) talks about web and FTP server(s), but that also applies to other server(s) too.

Step 12: If Step 11 is successful, check the ports from the outside.

Meaning, any of the following sites:

grc.com shields up

http://www.dyndns.com/support/tools/openport.html

http://www.whatsmyip.org/ports/

http://www.canyouseeme.org/
0 Likes
Re: HowTo: Westell 9100em Port Forwarding to a linux box
soch

The instructions didn't work for me.

The only way I can make my website work is by putting the webserver in the DMZone.

Following port forwarding doesn't work for me:

192.168.1.200 192.168.1.200 Any Any Nameserver - TCP 53 -> 53
        UDP 53 -> 53
WEB - TCP 80 -> 80 Active

I have FiOS tripple bundle.

Westell A90 - 9100EM 15 -10 router from Verizon.

0 Likes