I want to replace the Actiontec and not loose VOD, Multiroom DVR capabilities and or Mediashare
unklsckness

Good Afternoon All,

I have a ActionTec  Rev E router using at Coax to Ont connection.  I just bought a new Wireless N router and would like to put that in place of the Actiontec.  Would double bridging be the best solution using the Coax to Ont?

0 Likes
Re: I want to replace the Actiontec and not loose VOD, Multiroom DVR capabilities and or Mediashare
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There are several ways you could potentially go about this.  There are some features that won't work with media share and web dvr access, so you might want to do it like the first link describes.

• Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?
  • What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
  • How do I replace my MoCA-connected Actiontec router and still get VOD
  • Re: I want to replace the Actiontec and not loose VOD, Multiroom DVR capabilities and or Mediashare
    Hubrisnxs
    Legend

keep in mind  the following

" the Actiontec router must be primary for the remote access feature. The latest status on this problem is posted in this thread: »FIOS TV Central website access with Non AT Router?"

0 Likes
    Re: I want to replace the Actiontec and not loose VOD, Multiroom DVR capabilities and or Mediashare
    prisaz
    Legend

I have my Actiontec as a MOCA ethernet bridge and it does nothing on the WAN or DHCP. My Router does it ALL, But I have Ethernet from te ONT. I did find the CID will not work even if you do add in the port forwards Verizon uses. Multi Room DVR does seem to work, because the boxes can still talke to each other and use a different set of network addresses on the MOCA lan than what everything else uses.

0 Likes
    unklsckness

It looks like  Step 5  will do it or most of what I want. I am just not sure if they are at still using coax to ONT though.  The chart at the beginning specifies that it is for coax to ONT.  Am I reading this correctly? I ask this because I am trying to avoid running cat5 or 6 from the ONT.

0 Likes
    Anti-Phish1
    Master - Level 1

@unklsckness wrote:

It looks like  Step 5  will do it or most of what I want. I am just not sure if they are at still using coax to ONT though.  The chart at the beginning specifies that it is for coax to ONT.  Am I reading this correctly? I ask this because I am trying to avoid running cat5 or 6 from the ONT.

Coax from the ONT to the router is Verizon's standard installation. 

Option 5 is for coax from the ONT and your router as primary.

Double bridging is a PITA, especially in the event of a power failure.

If you want to run your own router, cat5 is a lot simpler.

0 Likes