I would like to connect my linksys wrt610n to my fios router
sungodrule

the fios g router's range is terrible so i would like to connect my linksys router to it to provide better wireless coverage.  How do I do that without losing andy widgets or VOD?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I would like to connect my linksys wrt610n to my fios router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sungodrule wrote:

the fios g router's range is terrible so i would like to connect my linksys router to it to provide better wireless coverage.  How do I do that without losing andy widgets or VOD?

Configure the linksys to be using a subnet other than 192.168.1

To do this connect a wired pc to a lan port on the linksys.

login as admin and use the documentation provided with the linksys to change the lan subnet being used in the dhcp section  (I suggest something like 192,168.2.x).

Now connect the wan port on the linksys to a lan port on the VZ router.

That's it

The VZ router will be handing out connections wirelessly and wired on subnet 192.168.1 and the linksys on subnet 192.168.2.

This is the simple way of doing it it.  The one downside is that machines on the 192.168.1.x subnet cannot easily access machines on the 192.168.2.x subnet, however machines on the 192.168.2.x subnet can access other machines on both subnets.

If you intend to use port forwarding I suggest making the wan port on the linksys a static address as it will make it easier for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

@sungodrule wrote:

This guide http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios will cover your setup. Scroll down to the 3.0 Networking section

0 Likes
sungodrule

I went to that website followed it exactly... it worked as far as reconfiguring the Fios router, but when I changed configs of 2nd router it did not work wifi or directly connected

0 Likes
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

If you post on those forums the people who created and manage that guide will help you sort it out.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sungodrule wrote:

Configure the linksys to be using a subnet other than 192.168.1

To do this connect a wired pc to a lan port on the linksys.

login as admin and use the documentation provided with the linksys to change the lan subnet being used in the dhcp section  (I suggest something like 192,168.2.x).

Now connect the wan port on the linksys to a lan port on the VZ router.

That's it

The VZ router will be handing out connections wirelessly and wired on subnet 192.168.1 and the linksys on subnet 192.168.2.

This is the simple way of doing it it.  The one downside is that machines on the 192.168.1.x subnet cannot easily access machines on the 192.168.2.x subnet, however machines on the 192.168.2.x subnet can access other machines on both subnets.

If you intend to use port forwarding I suggest making the wan port on the linksys a static address as it will make it easier for you.

0 Likes