In-Home Agent problem
wtw18
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had hours of difficulty today.  It all started when I tried to activate Verizon In-Home Agent, which some Verizon tech support person recently recommended to me.  It does not open properly and has no functionality.  I also was unable to register to post on the forum, despite repeated efforts.  Finally I concluded that most if not all of my problems were linked to Vz IHA.  I saw a forum post lamenting that it was impossible to delete or remove the program, but it vanished on my first try. At that point I tried once again to register for the forum, and here we are...

I would appreciate if someone from Verizon could advise whether In-Home Agent is supposed to be able to work with 64-bit Vista.  If bnot, why are you recommending it?  It's been a frustrating waste of my time.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: In-Home Agent problem
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IN home Agent has always been buggy and I personally have recommended for many years not to install it.  If installed uninstall it.

There are so little that it can do for you that the bugs (including a loop that at least used to cause it go into 100% CPU usage if it couldn't connect) make it not worth the trouble.  There are online versions of a bunch of its functions (and function in the TV STB) that can fix most things it is suppose to fix.

You can easily set up things like Window Live mail yourself. 

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

@wtw18 wrote:

I had hours of difficulty today.  It all started when I tried to activate Verizon In-Home Agent, which some Verizon tech support person recently recommended to me.  It does not open properly and has no functionality.  I also was unable to register to post on the forum, despite repeated efforts.  Finally I concluded that most if not all of my problems were linked to Vz IHA.  I saw a forum post lamenting that it was impossible to delete or remove the program, but it vanished on my first try. At that point I tried once again to register for the forum, and here we are...

I would appreciate if someone from Verizon could advise whether In-Home Agent is supposed to be able to work with 64-bit Vista.  If bnot, why are you recommending it?  It's been a frustrating waste of my time.

Welcome

Let us know what issues you are having, and there are many users that can help in the peer to peer forums.

Depending on what you expect it to do, it may or may not help you. At the bottom of my posting, there is a link to a posting that explains its functions.

I had it running with my 64bit Vista for a short period. Remember you may need to install it with Elevated privleges. Run as administrator. I found no real use for it since I knew how to do everyhthing it does. But it does work with 64bit Vista. I removed the program with no problems at all. NONE. Uninstalled through Programs and Features in the control panel.

What options were you looking for?

Managing your STBs resetting your STBs yourself?

Setting up wireles..... etc.

What was your purpose for installing it?

There is a very good sticky post at the top of this board that outlines the features and functions. I can assure you it does install under 64.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Troubleshoot-and-Setup-FiOS-Connections-with-VZ-In-Home-A...

0 Likes
Collielover96
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well then if it does install with Windows 7, why are so many people having a problem?  I got a new Dell Studio and Verizon FIOS on 3/18/10.  I installed IHA the next day and it worked fine for a while until a pop up from Verizon asked to install an update.  It then stopped working.  An agent said they could not do anything except recommend that I unistall and reinstall.  That did not work.  I get a Windows installer '1721' error when trying to install now and when I sent the error log online there were no results!  What is up with that?

I need IHA because my FIOS TV service is a pain and the picture freezes all the time.  It is faster to reset to box with IHA than other 'solutions'.

dasmbs

Thank goodness, a forum to discuss issues with IHA!!!

First my story:

- I used to LOVE "Connection Wizard".  Whenever my wireless laptop lost its

connection to my FIOS router, I would use Connection Wizard to fix it.  However,

the last few times it happened, I'd open Connection Wizard and it'd say

"plug me into the router", so I would carry the laptop to the other floor

and physically plug it into the router...but it would then say "hmmm, you don't

seem to be plugged in to the router".  This is despite the fact that as soon

as I physically plugged into the router I was connected to the internet.

Nonetheless, somehow, some way, by being physically connected, it would

re-find however the wireless connection was supposed to work.  Weird.

Well, last time this happened, I plugged in the laptop, opened Connection

Wizard and it said something like "hey, there's this new In Home Agent, let

me just uninstall Connection Wizard and install IHA".  Which it did.

Now, In Home Agent is on my comptuer and it is absolutely NOT WORKING.

I double click on it and it fails to open.  It does not appear as a running

application on Windows Task Manager.  AND YET, if I try to double click

it again, I get the message "In Home Agent is already running"

So, Connection Wizard USED to work FLAWLESSLY....

Then Connection Wizard began to work POORLY....

Now In Home Agent FAILS TO WORK AT ALL....

Any advice?  Because I'm now 5 days without a laptop wireless internet

connection and my "FIOS is great" mantra that I used to tell all my friends

has turned into "FIOS is becoming as useless as Comcast" 😞  And I

do NOT want that to happen!!

Help please!

0 Likes
mdcatdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've tried to install it in two 32-bit Windows 7 computers but the OS refuses to recognize it as a valid Installer package, despite several downloads.

All a Verizon Tech Support person would say is "we've having problems with our software"

0 Likes
tongue

" In Home Agent is on my comptuer and it is absolutely NOT WORKING.

I double click on it and it fails to open.  It does not appear as a running

application on Windows Task Manager.  AND YET, if I try to double click

it again, I get the message "In Home Agent is already running" "

You could try this: go to shortcut that starts in home agent and find out the name of its executable file. Then in task manager > processes (tab), look for that file. If it is there, click the "end process" button. Wait for the process to end. Now try starting in home agent again.

0 Likes
tongue

It may not start, but at least you won't get that annoying message saying that it is already running. If it doesn't start, remove its process again, as it is just taking up space and not doing anything.

By shortcut I mean the menu choice that u use to start it. Right-click, select properties, and look under target. The item after the last slash is the filename and process name.

0 Likes
dasmbs

Tried that...the executable is "iSupport.exe".

That appears in the processes list, but nothing happens.  I can kill it, and re-run

IHA, and still nothing happens except for the "iSupport.exe" appearing.

Next idea?

0 Likes
rogersaj7

Horrible program it has so many bugs it crashes your laptop.  I have a dell w windows 7 and it just keeps recycling it self I went to cnet.com and got revo uninstaller and compltley wiped it out and now everything is great again.  It rerally might be tim to go back to comcast

0 Likes
Bob_W
Enthusiast - Level 2

As you can see you are not alone.  The installation tech installed a copy of In Home Agent on one of my laptops (wouldn't let him touch my main box) running XP.  He told me what it was supposed to do, but did not demo it.  Next day I tried to run it and it was non-functional.  Uninstalled it, downloaded a copy from the Verizon website, reinstalled it.  No joy.  It still didn't run.  Installed it on a second machine.  It  did not run on that XP box either.  This being my first experience with Verizon, doesn't make me feel real confident.  Especially since it turns out that not only did the installation tech install a non-functional bit of software, he left me a virus as well.

Hope Verizon is better at running a FiOS WAN than writing software.