Incorrect speeds being shown while trying to order FiOS
SoftwareDev

I recently moved to the Tysons Corner, VA area from Rockville, MD; one of the major selling points was the current location I was moving to had FiOS quantum. Before moving, I checked the available services online by putting in the address, and it said that 75/75 mbps was available. Below is a screenshot of what Verizon.com says is offered at my address:

Which made sense since I knew ALL the buildings around the one I am now living has FiOS, and I even have some friends who live accross the street who have FiOS at 50/50 and 75/75. 

Fast forward to today, when I try to proceed to "Order Now" instead I get the following screen:

Knowing that my friends live right next door who have FiOS quantum, this tells me that the FiOS boxes/lines coming into this building just need to be upgraded. I just do not know who to contact regarding this issue. 

I would MUCH prefer FiOS over the other internet providers around here since I need a large upload speed for my work for when I need to do database migrations and developement work; 50/10 mbps is not an acceptable option. 

I tried calling Verizon on the phone, but no one at their call center can help me. I tried a live chat, got just canned auto-responses. When I tried asking who can I talk to about this issue, they forwarded me to the forums here. So here I am. 

0 Likes
Re: Incorrect speeds being shown while trying to order FiOS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like a standard database/qualification issue. Just to be sure, you are in a Single Family Home with an ONT that is already present, correct? You have full access to either the MoCa or Ethernet ports, and there is no "VDSL" modem sitting around?

0 Likes
SoftwareDev

This is an apartment complex that I just moved to; I have yet to be able to locate the ONT. In my old apartment, our ONT was located in my roommate's closet, but I cannot seem to find one here, at least not yet. Might be located somewhere else outside of the apartment? I just sent an inquiry to the leasing office to figure out where the terminal is. 

There is no VDSL modem; the previous tenants used COX cable. 

Edit: Update: Leasing office says it's likely in the "communications closet" on the ground floor. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It sounds like your building is VDSL which the internet speed is limited, otherwise you would have an ONT in your apt or just outside. I would have the neighbor do a speed test to see what they are actually getting.

0 Likes
SoftwareDev

Right across the street, a friend of mine just setup and is getting 50/50. I was there just the other day and he ran a speed test after I setup his new 802.11ac router for him. His was getting roughly 55 mbps down, 58 mbps up if I remember correctly. 

Is there someone I can talk to who would know the telecomm situation for our particular building/can upgrade our apartment if it's just a matter of the ONT not being installed?

This is honestly important enough to me that I would consider even paying out-of-pocket to for a Verizon contractor to perform the upgrade.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi SoftwareDev,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes