Intermittent connection to FiOS Actiontec MI424WR router
hebbark
Enthusiast - Level 2

I became a new Verizon FiOS subscriber about a month ago and got a new Actiontec MI424WR wireless router.  I have several devices connected to it - an iPad, iPhone, iPod and two Windows7 PCs.  One of the Windows7 PCs loses connection to the wireless router resulting in a loss of Internet connectivity.  It happens several times a day.  I called Verizon tech support who suggested that I change the channel setting from Auto to 6 or 11.  I tried that but with no luck. I have DECT6.0 phones which are supposed to not interfere with electronic devices like the router. What is perplexing is only one device, and that too one of the two PCs, has this problem.  Can you suggest a solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intermittent connection to FiOS Actiontec MI424WR router
Justin46
Legend

@hebbark wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions Justin.  It is a laptop and the other PC is also a laptop and this problem occurs even if I am 4 ft from the router.  It happens in the middle of browsing, so I don't think it is the wireless adapter on the laptop going to sleep. To get connectivity back, I disconnect from the wireless network and re-connect.  

I will try Channel 1 and see if it is interfering with another network.  The puzzling part is just one of the two Windows7 laptop has this problem. I wonder if there is some setting in the laptop or some other defect in the laptop.  Beats me!

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on what you have said it sounds to me like the problem is in that laptop, not in your router or with the channel you are using. I guess there could be a setting problem in the laptop, the best way to see would be to compare the settings in the two laptops to see what might be different. Off the top of my head I think it might be some kind of failure to renew the DHCP lease, but that is nothing more than a guess.

Another thing you could do that might help identify where the problem is, is to take a look at the Windows logs. Windows logs darn near evrything that happens in the system; one problem with that is there is so much data it is hard to find what you are looking for. But here is where I would start:

Start ==> Control Panel ==> Administrative Tools ==> Event Viewer ==> Applications and Services Logs ==> Microsoft ==> Windows ==> Dhcp Client

There should be two logs under that, it might be worth looking in there, especially at the first log, to see if there are any events that stand out. And of course there might be other logs that could contain information relative to the problem, I don't know.

Something else you might try is to go into the Device Manager dialog in the Control Panel and delete the wireless adapter, then reboot. Windows should recognize new hardware and find the drivers needed for the device and install them with default settings. Then you could see if the problem still exists.

Oh, and something else. Has this laptop ever worked correctly, on any network? Have you tried it on another network? If not, do so and see if it fails there. And if it does, and none of the above helps, maybe go to the laptop manufacturer's website and see if there are any new drivers available for the wireless adapter.

That is about all I can think of, but maybe I have given you enough ideas to keep you busy for a while..... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

I don't have a solution but I do have some thoughts and questions:

1) Have you tried Channel 1? I have a DSCT 6.0 cordless answering system and I have never had any interference problems but I do use Channel 1. Might make a different, might not.

2) There are other devices that might interfere. An example is a microwave, and I think there are others. Is there any way you can tie the failures to use of other products in the house?

3) Where are the two PCs? Is the one that loses connectivity further away from the router or closer? Maybe on a different floor in the house? Signal strength can certainly make connectivity flaky. Have you tried reorienting the antenna on the router? Have you looked at the signal strength the PC that loses connection sees? If it is further away, try moving it closer and see if the problem disappears.

4) Does this happen when the PC is left sitting for a while? I am just wondering if maybe the wireless adapter in the PC is going to sleep for some reason, or maybe even failing at times.

5) Again focusing on the signal strength question: are there other wireless networks in your area that could be interferring with your signal? This is a common problem. If you haven't done any research on this, a free tool called InSSIDer can help you see what networks are there and what channels they are using.

6) What does it take to get connectivity back on that PC? Does it happen automatically or do you have to do something specific?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just shooting in the dark here, but maybe if you can provide more details someone here can identify a solution for you.

Keller, TX 76248

hebbark
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your suggestions Justin.  It is a laptop and the other PC is also a laptop and this problem occurs even if I am 4 ft from the router.  It happens in the middle of browsing, so I don't think it is the wireless adapter on the laptop going to sleep. To get connectivity back, I disconnect from the wireless network and re-connect.  

I will try Channel 1 and see if it is interfering with another network.  The puzzling part is just one of the two Windows7 laptop has this problem. I wonder if there is some setting in the laptop or some other defect in the laptop.  Beats me!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@hebbark wrote:

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on what you have said it sounds to me like the problem is in that laptop, not in your router or with the channel you are using. I guess there could be a setting problem in the laptop, the best way to see would be to compare the settings in the two laptops to see what might be different. Off the top of my head I think it might be some kind of failure to renew the DHCP lease, but that is nothing more than a guess.

Another thing you could do that might help identify where the problem is, is to take a look at the Windows logs. Windows logs darn near evrything that happens in the system; one problem with that is there is so much data it is hard to find what you are looking for. But here is where I would start:

Start ==> Control Panel ==> Administrative Tools ==> Event Viewer ==> Applications and Services Logs ==> Microsoft ==> Windows ==> Dhcp Client

There should be two logs under that, it might be worth looking in there, especially at the first log, to see if there are any events that stand out. And of course there might be other logs that could contain information relative to the problem, I don't know.

Something else you might try is to go into the Device Manager dialog in the Control Panel and delete the wireless adapter, then reboot. Windows should recognize new hardware and find the drivers needed for the device and install them with default settings. Then you could see if the problem still exists.

Oh, and something else. Has this laptop ever worked correctly, on any network? Have you tried it on another network? If not, do so and see if it fails there. And if it does, and none of the above helps, maybe go to the laptop manufacturer's website and see if there are any new drivers available for the wireless adapter.

That is about all I can think of, but maybe I have given you enough ideas to keep you busy for a while..... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

hebbark
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much.  I will try these suggestions.  The laptop worked perfectly fine with my previous Verizon FiOS router. I got the new Actiontec router two months ago when I started service at my new place.

0 Likes
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are both laptops using "n" wireless, or is one runnig an older "g" wireless NIC?  When you look at the wireless connection status, what speeds are shown on each?

0 Likes
Anak1
Contributor - Level 1

Hi hebbark!

Please note the bold / underlined part of your post:

hebbark wrote:

This would be for your Laptop setting, I do not have any iDevices

Go to:

• Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Device Manager (DM).
  • Then down to, and open Network Adapters.
  • Right Click on the Adapter listed, and Left Click on Properties at the bottom of the Context Menu.
  • Then click on the Power Management Tab.

You should see something similar to this:

These are the settings for my wired desktop. You may want to try un-checking the first two for your laptop.

The first one may have a bearing on your connectivity issue.

The second, only if it is not crucial that your machine needs to accept updates or downloads while it is asleep.

The warning is also sage advice.

As for any defects, If you do try Justins suggestion about deleting the wireless adapter, and that doesn't help try going to the manufacturer's site, and checking if there is an update for the adapter, if there is, and this only applies to your Laptop, do not use DM to update the new drivers.

When Windows asks you if you want it to install the drivers say no you have the drivers, and then point to where you saved them.

There have been problems using DM to update Drivers.

It is okay to follow Justins advice with the drivers that are already there, but if you do find new ones stay away from using DM to update them.

And make sure your iDevices are up to date.

hebbark
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin - your suggestion SOLVED IT..THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I downloaded InSSIDer and found that several other networks were on channel 6, same as mine.  I changed mine to channel 1. I went without any disconnect issues for a few hours. But it began disconnecting soon afterwards.

I then went to my wireless adapter, deleted it and rebooted.  That seems to have solved the connection issue.  I am on my second day with continuous connection.

I can't thank you enough for your ideas.

bigeesy

I experienced similar issues with my windows devices, turns out the power saving mode drop the wireless internet connection so it appears for a few minutes that your wireless adapter is not working. Solution as suggested in other forums it to turn off computer or change batterry power saving mode in the power option by changing it from balanced power to high performance or in balanced power change the wireless setting of battery to maximum performance. hope this helps...

0 Likes