Internet speed cuts in half when running a rule thru the router
GO_IRISH

Can someone explain to me how it is that I can go from a 80+Mbps upload and 39+Mbps download when I have no rules running via my router, to a 34-38.94Mbps upload and a 37Mbps download speed?  I observe the warning of the router that it will utilize some resources, but if it is going to chop my upload speed in half, why even offer it as an option?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Internet speed cuts in half when running a rule thru the router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, we've seen that happen when someone configures parental control through the router.   It's a known issue that never made the cut when it came to firmware updates.   Not sure if it's just a super low use feature and it took backseat to other features and upgrades or of someone didn't want to compete with the Verizon/McAfee  family protection software.    

If that's the rule your talking about then I would suggest simply using open dns.  It's free and more full featured 

0 Likes
Re: Internet speed cuts in half when running a rule thru the router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could just be packet inspection slowing down the CPU on the router. Some of the older routers with slower CPUs would suffer at speeds lower than 35Mbps when Parental Controls were enabled.

0 Likes